But not just any muffins, these savory little gems are about my favorite of the "specialty" muffins. Perfect for breakfast, perfect to make a big batch for when you have overnight company. Personally, my very favorite is to make a batch when I have a road trip. Driving cross country, I'll pop one of these in my mouth and save a visit to the frozen burrito aisle of the gas station...
But I digress...
I think the real delight in these are the unexpected flavors of the topping... I use what I call, Sodom and Gomorrah salt substitute. Equal parts of white and black sesame seeds (feel free to use only one color, but I like the presentation of the black and white), Garlic Flakes and some specialty coarse grain Sea Salt. A little sprinkling on top as the muffins bake and you have such a delight as you eat.
Cheesy, a little bit Spicy, A surprising hit of extra Garlic and Earthy Sesame. Salt adds the seasoning and indeed you have a truly LOADED Mini Muffin!
Loaded Cheddar Cheese Mini Muffins
- 3 Cups Flour
- 2 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 2 TBS Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 TBS Garlic Powder
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 1 Cup Whole Milk
- 1 TBS Black Sesame Seeds
- 1 TBS White Sesame Seeds
- 1 TBS Garlic Flakes
- 1 TBS Coarse Grain Sea Salt
- Non-Stick Spray
- Prepare a 48 mini muffin size pan with non-stick spray. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients, Flour, Sugar, Baking Powder, Garlic and Chili Powder
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients, Eggs Olive Oil and Milk.
- In another small mixing bowl mix together the Sesame Seeds, Garlic and Sea Salt.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry and fold to thoroughly combine. Add the Cheese and stir to evenly mix.
- Pour the batter into the muffin pan, filling to the top of each cavity. Sprinkle a pinch of the Sesame/Garlic/Salt mix on the top of each muffin.
- Bake 25 minutes until the tops just starts to brown. Remove from the oven but let the muffins rest in the pan for another 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and allow to cool,
- Serve Warm. Store in an airtight container.
... and ENJOY!