But not just any bar cookies, these have several things going for them. First of all is the legendary Red Velvet chocolate unique flavors. Slightly Cocoa Chocolate flavor with hints of tang makes this something special. The look with the red tinge adds to that special-ness. BUT, best of all, the normally complicated Red velvet recipe is replaced with a couple of Store bought cake mixes. My large market just started carrying these mixes, but I was able to find them on Amazon for you Amazon Prime members that get free shipping (see link below).
There are three layers to the bars... an almost chocolate flavored shortbread layer, with a cream cheese middle, all topped with crumbles of soft chewy cake. Threee layers, three separate but easy mixing to do. But, hands on, not counting baking time, total hands on effort is only about 10 minutes. Fast, Easy, Nothing complicated and Bingo Bango Bongo, what a treat!
And of course you have every right to just nod and smile and refuse to give out the recipe when everyone asks for your secret. Let 'em think scratch when the dive into these wonderful little gems!
Keep scrolling down for this easy to follow recipe, but first, here's the link for the red Velvet Cake Mixes if you can't find them in your store...
Red Velvet Chocolate
Cream Cheese Bars
Cream Cheese Bars
- 2 Store bought Red Velvet Cake Box Mix
- 3 Large Eggs, used separately
- 1/2 Plus Another 1/2 Cup (1 Cup Total) Olive Oil
- 1 Brick (8 Oz) Cream Cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, prepare a lasagana size casserole dish (9X13) with nonstick spray
- Mix one of the dry cake mix with 1 egg, and 1/2 Cup oil until crumbly
- Press mixture lightly into an the prepared casserole dish.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees
- While it is baking, Beat cream cheese, 1 egg, and sugar until smooth.
- When the "cake" is done baking, allow to cool for 20 minutes.
- While it is cooling, mix the remaining cake mix with the remaining 1/2 cup oil and egg. Mix until crumbly.
- Spread Cream Cheese mix over baked layer and then sprinkle reserved crumb mixture over the top. You want that pebbled look, so crumble with your fingers over the cream cheese.
- Bake for an additional 13 minutes.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour. Cool completely before cutting into bars.
- Serve Chilled and ENJOY!