But not just any Pinwheels, this is a GREAT idea for a Holiday Party with the colors. Anything red and green accented becomes a holiday appetizer. But it is also a great way to use up a few leftovers from Holiday cooking.
But first, the shape... CHRISTMAS TREE!
Easy to replicate, just press the pinwheels into a triangle.
I like to add a Green Olive to extend the look with a base for the tree, and a festive attractive appetizer pick for the the food on a stick fun!
As to using up leftovers, this takes a lot of dribs and drabs from your crisper drawer, Buy a batch of green onions and you always have a few left.
Got a few extra Green Onions... Here you go.
Only need to use half a Red bell Pepper... Here you go again.
Got a few Black Olives left../ Well, you get the idea.
Hunt down bricks of cream cheese on sale. Two weeks before Thanksgiving many store put cream cheese on sale for about a dollar a brick. Go ahead, buy a dozen. Cheesecakes, pinwheels, Cheese Balls. Dips... All sorts of ideas. Betcha you can use up all dozen before the holidays are over. Suddenly these Beautiful Tasty Appetizers become not just affordable but actually cheap... About a quarter apiece. What a deal!
The green tortillas will need to to be hunted down, but they are out there and worth hunting down.
A party favorite this time of year... ENJOY!!
Holiday Christmas Trees Pinwheels Roll-Ups Appetizers
- 2 Bricks (8 OZ each) Cream Cheese, softened to room temperature
- 9 Green onions, thin sliced, white and green parts
- 1 Red Pepper, chopped and minced small (Same size as the sliced green onions)
- 10 Large Ripe Black Olives, chopped and minced (Same size as the green onions)
- 5 (12 inch) Flour tortillas... try to find the Green ones
- 24 Green olives stuffed with Pimentos
- Festive Appetizer Forks
- First, Make the Goo...
In the bowl of a Stand Mixer (KitchenAid), Add the cream Cheese and mix until creamy. I use the whisk attachment and scrape down the bowl frequently. This will take about 5 minutes to get the whipped texture.
- Add the 'Fixins, the Red Bell Peppers, the Green onions and the Black Olives and fold until well combined and evenly mixed. I do this by hand.
- Spread your tortillas out and evenly distribute cream cheese mixture among tortillas and spread just shy of the edges.
- Roll up the Tortillas. Not too tightly or the goo will seep out the ends. Wrap in plastic cling wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Once everything has firmed up again, press the logs into a triangle.
- Unwrap and Slice into 1/2 inch Pieces, Stab a fork into a green olive (try to arrange the pimento so it sticks out of the bottom of the "tree". Arrange attractively on a platter. Sprinkle a little Smoked Paprika for extra flavor and color presentation. Wrap the platter and return to the fridge until ready to serve.
- Serve Chilled and ENJOY!