But not just any cornbread, Oh no, this is an amazingly sweet and very moist, almost cake like consistency cornbread, And I just LOVE the dramatic presentation of the upside down cooked onions for the topping.
Rich in butter, Extra moist from a cup of cottage cheese added to the mix; I like to add a layer of spicy heat to the bread with a few minced jalapeno peppers. Mix in some cheese and you have about as good a cornbread as you can imagine. The sweet onions used for the topping just set off the melange of flavors. THIS IS A WINNER!
As complicated as all that sounds, it is very easy to mix. The Cast Iron skillet does all of the work of browning and caramelizing the onions, while the actual mix is just an add and dump Jiffy mix. Mix and stir the ingredients together, gently layer on top of the onions and bake.
Only slightly difficult part is inverting the finished bread onto a serving platter (I prefer to invert onto a cutting board). But even that is easy once you have done this a time or two. Here's the trick... The bottom is rich with a layer of butter and the caramelized onions and will not stick to the bottom. While the sides will need to be loosened (Just run a knife along the edge). So, lay a platter or cutting board over the skillet, work fast, while holding both the skillet and the platter (board), flip the skillet. Faster you do it, with as much confidence as possible, the better the results.
Trust me it works and you have a beautiful presentation... Just a simple upgrade from that box recipe.
Easy to follow recipe below, keep scrolling down.
But I wanted to share a fantastic gift I received... If you don't have one, I highly recommend one of these HEAVY pre-seasoned cast irn skillets. Large enough to cook most anything. Pre- Seasoned means the skillet comes ready to cook in. None of the intimidating tasks that need to be done with a non seasoned skillet... Love this and worth every penny. And remember Amazon ships free on orders over $25!
Keep scrolling down, recipe below.
Sweet Onion Skillet Upside Down Cornbread
- 1/2 Stick (4 TBS) Butter
- 2 Boxes Jiffy Mix
- 2 Sweet Onions
- 3 Large Eggs
- 1 Cup Cottage Cheese
- 1 Can Sweet Corn, drained and rinsed
- 1 Cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 3/4 Cup Butter (1-1/2 Sticks)
- 1 Package Bacom, Cooked crispy and crumbled
- 1 tsp Sugar
- Optional - 3 Jalapeno Peppers, core, seeds and white membrane removed, Minced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Carefully slice your onions into rings, making sure to leave them intact.
- In your large cast iron skillet, melt 4 TBS Butter. Over medium high heat, arrange the onion slices in the butter. Fill in empty spots with smaller pieces of onion.
- Allow onions to cook in the butter for 10 minutes, or until soft and just turning translucent.
- While onions cook, beat eggs into corn muffin mix in a large bowl, then stir in cottage cheese, 3/4 cup melted butter and sugar.
- Once fully incorporated, fold in cheddar cheese, corn, bacon and jalapenos.
- Pour (thick) batter over the sautéed onions in the skillet, then transfer skillet to oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until cornbread is golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool 10-15 minutes.
- Carefully invert cornbread cake onto serving platter.
- Slice into wedges, serve with cream cheese (optional) and enjoy!
- Serve Warm and ENJOY!
Post a Comment