But not just any creamed peas, these are not your French inspired peas in a bechamel sauce, this is inspired by Cowboys.
Which means BACON! Everything's better with BACON! But not just adding bacon was enough. I also made my Roux (the thickener) by combining the bacon drippings with flour to make a flavorful bacon Roux.
I also swapped out the nutmeg used in a classic Bechamel with extra Pepper. I like Pepper.
And just to add even more flavor... Toss in a handful of grated Parmesan cheese to add an even deeper layer of flavor.
the end product is just about the best tasting side dish I have ever served. Creamy and sweet, while at the same time the bite of the pepper and the Earthy bacon rich flavors combine for an OMG THIS IS GOOD, REALLY GOOD recipe.
One of my 13 "Died and Gone to heaven Recipes and deservedly so.
This is GOOD... Enjoy!
Cowboy Creamed Peas
- FOR COWBOY BECHAMEL SAUCE...Drippings from cooking 10 Slice of bacon
- Additional 3 TBS Butter
- 5 TBS Flour
- Pinch Salt
- Pepper to Taste (I like LOTS of pepper, 2 tsp)
- 2 Cups Half and Half
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- FOR THE FINISHED DISH
- 10 Strips Bacon, fried crisp, 2 strips cut 1/4 inch strips for garnish, rest chopped smaller to mix in.
- 1/2 Red Onion, chopped dime size pieces.
- 1 Bag Frozen Peas, thawed under hot water
- Additional spices as needed
- First, fry the bacon. You need the drippings for the Cowboy Bechamel
- FOR THE COWBOY BECHAMEL, FIRST MAKE A ROUX...
Remove bacon from frying pan, add the butter to the drippings and stir to mix. Turn heat down to low medium.
- Add the flour one TBS at a time, stir constantly to avoid the flour burning. Continue to stir under low heat for at least 10 minutes to form the sauce.
- After 10 minutes of constant stirring, season with salt and pepper and add the onions. Stir to combine
- Add the Half and Half, increase heat to medium.
- Add the Parmesan cheese and stir to mix. Heat to low simmer
- Add Peas and allow to simmer for 10 minutes until heated through.
- Serve warm and ENJOY!
Post a Comment