So Pretty, gonna show it twice before I get to the recipe!
Not for the weak of heart (literally).
Pork, wrapped in pork, wrapped in pork!!!
And what a beautiful presentation! and what a delicious Taste! And while it sounds complicated to make (Look at the recipe, longest one I ever typed); in fact it is very simple...
Bacon lattice flat
add sausage on top... Flat
add "Mixins" (Pineapple, more bacon, sauce and seasonings... Flat
Roll, cook, glaze and ENJOY!
All that extra typing is simply hints to make this easier for you.
2 weeks to football season... 2 weeks to TAILGATING! Just imagine slicing this up with a few MOINK BALLS.. Now that's a party!
Keep scrolling down for this easy to follow recipe...
BACON BACON BACON Football (Hawaiian Style)
- 2 Pounds Thick Sliced Bacon (Divided)
- 1 Pound Tube Bulk Sausage
- 1 Can (@15 Ounces) Crushed Pineapple in Heavy Syrup, drained but reserve 1/4 cup of the juice
- 1/4 Cup Your Favorite BBQ Spice Rub (divided)
- 1/4 Cup Your Favorite BBQ Sauce
- Set aside 18 slices of bacon.
- Then Cut the remaining slices into 1/4 inch pieces and fry until just barely cooked but most of the fat has rendered out. Drain on a paper towel, squeeze as much of the fat out.
- Next, make the bacon lattice. Lay out 9 pieces of bacon flat into a square (tight, edge to edge, turn so that the bacon is pointing away from (Perpendicular). Pull every other piece off (lets call the remaining 5 pieces GROUP A and the 4 you removed GROUP B), lay the first of the other 9 pieces across the edge of GROUP A then replace GROUP B on top of the first of the remaining 9 You should have the first of the 9 piece alternating with one of GROUP A on the bottom, followed by the next GROUP B piece on top, etc etc.. Makes sense??? Good, now pull GROUP A pieces from the top but stopping so that you do not disturb the first of the nine piece. Lay the SECOND of the nine pieces on top of the GROUP B slices. Then relay out the GROUP A flat. You should have the beginnings of a Lattice look. Repeat with remaining pieces of the nine until you have a lattice square of bacon.
- Next, drain the pineapple and again, squeeze to remove as much of the juices as possible, but, reserve the juices.
- Sprinkle the slightly cooked BACON chips over the sausage (Flat and Even).
- Now sprinkle the pineapple on top of the bacon (Flat and Even).
- Next, sprinkle all but 2 TBS of the RUB evenly over the pineapple.
- Drizzle 1/2 of the BBQ sauce evenly over the RUB
- OK, time to shape the BOMB.... Simply start at the bottom and gently but evenly roll the meat (GENTLY, if you force it, the insides squish out), ending with a tube shape with the bacon lattice covering the outside.
- You have a choice of cooking methods. Me, I like to smoke mine in my Weber Kettle style BBQ Grill. Indirect heat (coals on one side, no coals (and a drip pan half filled with water under the other side), temperature set about 225 degrees. Set the BOMB (Seam side of the lattice down) over the drip pan and cook. Measure the internal temperature (Several spots so you know you are measuring the temperature of the meat not the pineapple stuffing). Check temp after 1 hour and ever 15 minutes after. The BOMB is done when the thickest part register 160 degrees. ALTERNATIVELY you can cook in a preheated oven (225 degrees). best to set the BOMB (Still seam side down) on a grate over a pan so the bomb does not rest in the rendered fat. Same schedule, check after an hour and continue to check every 15 minutes until done (160 degrees).
- While the BOMB is cooking, over medium heat in a small sauce pan, mix the remaining BBQ Sauce, Pineapple Juice and Rub. Stir to combine. Add 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar and continue to occasionally stir to combine. Gently simmer for 15 minutes. Brush the glaze over the BOMB during the last 10 minutes of cooking. DO NOT ADD BEFORE THE MEAT IS ABOUT 155 DEGREES OR THE GLAZE WILL BURN.
- Allow the BOMB to rest for 15 minutes before slicing (I like to set it on a cutting board and show it off before slicing. As GREAT a presentation as it is, it loses a lot of WOW Factor once it is slices. Slice into 9 pieces (remember, nine pieces of bacon, slice between the bacon slices)... Makes a great main course or even a better sandwich!
- Serve warm and ENJOY!
Well over 52 recipes actually as I just can't stop... Over 100 in one grilling season (I love to grill!). But not just leat... Drinks, Condiments (LOTS of different BBQ sauces), Drinks, Desserts... even specialty items like GRILLED Pizza, and fun shaped Watermelons. Easy and these ideas will make you the MASTER of your Backyard Domain!
Come and find me on Pinterest... Any of my "52 Ways to cook" Boards are worth following. If you like this post, please take a second and "Pin" this to your own boards... Better yet, if you are part of a foodie group board please take a second and add this post to your group pins... best way to show your Love!
And BTW, if you are not yet part of a group board, drop me an email at Contact@eRecipeCards.com and request to be added to my group board... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! (be sure to include your pinterest ID when you write) Once you are added, any pins you add will be seen by 10s of THOUSANDS of followers of the board (and growing daily).
Rules, only 2...
- In order to join you need to start following the group board as well as at least one of my boards.
- And you must ONLY pin original sources, posts from food related bloggers only. If you are a blogger, this is a great way to have thousands of potential readers see your work, If you are a fan of bloggers, a great way to share your favorites...
Come and be a part of ... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! on Pinterest
Post a Comment