But mot just any corn bread, this is the most moist corn bread, filled with cheese, and creamy goodness... Don't let the Broccoli in the title scare you, this is the BEST Cornbread recipe you will ever eat. The recipe is indeed Old School classic from North Carolina. Probably no Southern PotLuck in the last 50 years has been without at least one pan of this.
For me, the nostalgia factor for this dish is almost overwhelming. Thinking of all those Church Basement wedding reception PotLucks... Even Funerals. This was one of those always made dishes.
The secret as every Southern Belle Or want to be Southern Belle knows is the Cottage Cheese in the recipe. Makes the usually dry Corn Bread sweet and creamy instead. The usual strong taste of the Broccoli is muted and sweetened by all the other ingredients. Unless you told, no one would recognize the flavor.
It's Old School... A Classic and deserves a place in your recipe box and table! Enjoy!!!
Keep scrolling down for this easy to follow recipe...
Cheddar Broccoli CornBread
- 2 TBS Butter, Melted
- 1 Medium Onion, Diced
- 1 (10 Ounce) Package Frozen Chopped Broccoli, Frozen
- 2 (8.5 Ounce) Boxes Corn Muffin Mix (Jiffy if you want authentic)
- 1/2 Cup Whole Milk
- 4 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1 Cup (8 Ounces) Small Curd Cottage Cheese
- 4 Large Eggs, slightly whipped
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 Cup Plus 2 TBS Fresh Grated Cheddar Cheese
- Preheat Oven to 375 Degrees, Prepare a Large 11X17 Baking Dish (non-Stick Spray). You can also make this in a Cast Iron Skillet (Great Presentation) or individual Oven Safe Ramekins.
- In a Large Heavy Bottomed Skillet, Melt the Butter and add the Diced Onion and Thawed Chopped Broccoli. Saute for about 5 minutes until the Onion softens and turns translucent. Add the Garlic and saute for an additional 2 minutes.
- Mix all remaining ingredients (except a bit of the Cheddar Cheese reserved for garnish) in a large mixing bowl. Fold in the Onion Broccoli mix.
- Transfer to the baking dish of choice. Bake until center is set and edges just start to brown, about 30 minutes. Garnish with the remaining cheddar cheese and return to oven for 5 minutes for the cheese to melt.
- Allow to cool for 20 minutes before slicing or serve room temperature and ENJOY!