I am lucky enough to have a home town brewer, Boulevard Brewing Company with a full range of annual, seasonal and specialty beers great for drinking and just as fantastic to cook with.
Most often when I want true beer taste to come through the rest of the ingredients I use their BULLY PORTER Beer... "A dark colored, medium-bodied beer with a prominent burnt, roasted malt aroma and flavor and an equally prominent hop aroma, flavor and bitterness."
Honey Chipotle Glazed Bacon that I posted about the other day. Heat, Sweet, Salty and that unique bacon flavor.
Roll all this together and you have a beer lover's Soup.... And a Bacon Lover's Soup!
Thick, rich, complex flavors... Complex, but still the flavors of bacon, beer and cheese Shine!
BEER, BACON and Cheese Soup!!!
- 1/2 Pound Bacon, cooked, reserve the bacon fat
- 4 TBS Butter
- 1 Medium Red Onion, Chopped
- 2 Stalks Celery, Chopped
- 2 Medium Carrots, Chopped
- 3 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 2 TBS Flour
- 1 Bottle (12 OZ) Beer, I used Boulevard Bully Porter
- 2 Cups Chicken Stock
- 8 OZ Sharp Cheddar Cheese, freshly grated
- 1 tsp Mustard Powder
- To Taste, Optional Cajun Spice Mix (I use just 1 tsp)
- For Garnish 1 tsp Sour Cream
- For Garnish 1/2 tsp Chives
- This cooks perfectly in a crock pot with a wand blender. First, cook the bacon, reserve the grease, set the bacon aside, divide in half.
- In a large saute pan with the bacon grease, add the butter and mix (and melt).
- Add the vegetables, onion, carrots and celery and saute for 5 minutes until the onions turn translucent.
- Add the garlic and continue to saute for 1 additional minute
- Add the flour and stir to combine.
- Deglaze the pan with half the bottle of beer. Move all of this to the crock pot slow cooker.
- Add the remaining beer, chicken stock. Set the cooker on high, cover and cook allowing all of the flavors to mingle.
- After 4 hours, take a hand mixer (or move the "soup" to a stand blender in batches) and blend everything until completely smooth.
- Add the cheese and mustard powder. Blend until melted and smooth.
- If desired, add the Cajun Spice mix.
- Serve HOT, garnish with additional chopped bacon, Sour Cream and Chives and ENJOY!
Pairs FANTASTIC with a Better BACON BACON Lettuce and Tomato Sandwich (Double Bacon and MORE)!
This is such a rich thick complicated flavored soup. Best of the beer soups I have ever tasted. Fantastic!
Of course this makes my growing list of "52 Recipes for Soup, Chili or Chowder"