But not just any sugar cookies, these are simply AMAZING! Buttery soft and chewy with just a hint of crunchy texture on the edges. But the real star of this cookie is the sweet creamy almond flavor in each cookie. A delicious change of pace from the sugary sweet sugar cookies of your youth.
These are of course popular with the kids.
But they are really meant for grown-ups looking for that sweet treat you might want to share at a grown up get together. I shared these with my wife's Book Club (well, wine drinking club that sometimes talks about a book). They were wildly popular with plenty of requests for the recipe.
And really, isn't that the best compliment.
Keep scrolling down for this easy to follow recipe.
But, one note... This recipe is visually best when you use large decorating crystal sugar for the topping. Wilton makes a terrific "Sprinkle" that practically glows. You can easily change the personality of your cookies by changing the color of the sprinkles. I like using the white crystals for a clean look. But of course a pretty Green color for a garden party would work fantastic. just let your imagination run wild!
And keep scrolling down, here's the easy to follow recipe!
- 3 Cups Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 TBS Mayonnaise
- Pinch Sea Salt
- 1 Cup (2 Sticks) Butter, Softened to room temperature
- 1-1/4 Cup Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs
- 3 tsp Almond Extract
- Additional Decorator Sugar Crystals
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees, Prepare a cookie sheet with nonstick parchment paper
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients... Flour, Salt and Baking Powder
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, creamy together the butter and the sugar. When light and fluffy, add the eggs and the Almond Extract
- Fold in the wet ingredients with the dry and continue to fold until fully combined into a dough.
- Working in batches, Roll the dough into 1 TBS Balls.
- Roll each ball in the decorator Crystal Sugar
- Arrange on the cookie sheet. Flatten each into thin discs. I use the bottom of a coffee cup for this. Keep a paper towel handy to dry the bottom after each press to avoid sticking.
- Bake for 8 minutes. The cookies will not look browned or cooked, but they are! Remove from oven and let cookies rest on baking sheet for 5 minutes. Then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely
- Store in air tight container
- Serve with a Hot cup of Tea or Cold Mug of Milk and ENJOY!