But not just any Cole Slaw, this is the famous southern MEMPHIS STYLE COLESLAW! Of all the slaw recipes I have made, I believe I like this the best. Plenty of contrasting flavors, great texture and colors for presentation. And like I said... GREAT FLAVOR!
And famous for a good reason. The combination of sweet (Mostly from extra carrots, grated to release their natural sweetness), Snappy tang from a little Cider Vinegar, and the Earthy taste of Celery Seed (Note: in classic Memphis style ColeSlaw, the Celery Seed is essential. My wife prefers Celery Salt in place of the seeds... She rules and I replaced the classic with Celery Salt).
There is one trick I like to do so my slaw is not too wet...
After I mix the slaw, I put the slaw in a colander that fits inside of a mixing bowl.
Then I let the slaw sit for at least three hours (Covered with plastic cling wrap).
Then, just before serving I transfer the drained cole slaw into a serving dish and you have perfectly moist, delicious slaw every time!
Memphis Style ColeSlaw
- 1 Bag Cole Slaw
- 3 Carrots, grated, additional chop
- 1/2 Red Onion, Grated, additional Chop
- 1/2 Cup Mayonnaise
- 2 YBS Yellow Mustard
- 2 TBS Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/3 Cup Honey
- 2 TBS Sugar
- 2 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Celery Seed (Note: in classic Memphis style ColeSlaw, the Celery Seed is essential. My wife prefers Celery Salt in place of the seeds... She rules and I replaced the classic)
- In a large bowl, whisk together the Mayo, Mustard, Honey, Sugar, Salt, Vinegar, Grated Chopped Carrots and Onion
- Add the bagged Cole Slaw mix and fold to combine and thoroughly mix.
- Cover bowl and chill for at least three hours (preferably overnight).
- Just before serving, using a colander, drain the excess liquid. arrange in an attractive serving dish
- Garnish with Paprika spice, serve chilled and ENJOY!
I made this to serve with Pulled Pork Sliders. YUM and ENJOY INDEED!