No discussion of uses for a Rotisserie chicken (like my series on 52 uses for a Rotisserie Chicken) would be complete without a few simple sandwich recipes. I would guess that more than a few rotisserie birds are sold for the single purpose of slicing some of the meat, adding a condiment and bread and lunch on the go is made.
But with just a little bit of extra effort, that simple sandwich can become something more special.
This particular sandwich comes with one of my favorite condiments, the Sun Dried Tomato Pesto!
Sun Dried Tomatoes are exactly what they sound like... Sliced tomatoes, laid out in the sun to allow the water content to evaporate. 90% or more of the weight of the tomato is lost in this process. There are a lot of uses for sun dried tomatoes and they became the darlings of chain and trendy restaurants in the 90's.
Me, I like to make a pesto...
- 1 (8 and 1/2 ounce Jar) Sun Dried Tomatoes, packed in oil)
- 4 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Cup Packed Freshly picked Basil Leaves
- 1/2 Cup Fresh grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1/4 Cup Walnut pieces (optional)
- 1/2 tsp each, Salt and Pepper
- Could not be easier, especially with the Sun Dried tomatoes packed in oil. Simply toss all of the ingredients into a food processor and process away. Depending on the use, you may want to add a bit more oil so that the pesto is looser.
And that's my favorite condiment for a chicken sandwich. Special enough to serve to company, certainly tasty as can be, with the unique Earthy taste of the walnuts, combined with the sugars in the tomato, and nuttiness of the Parmesan makes this just DELICIOUS!
Add a little grated provolone cheese, a few minutes under a broiler and don!
Served open face on fresh baked bread for a presentation lunch or go ahead and close it up, grab and go, this is one terrific idea for a sammy!
52 Uses for a Rotisserie Chicken!
And as always, if you like this recipe and think you might want to give it a try, pin this to your Pinterest Board and be sure to follow me on Pinterest if you want to see the rest of my 52 Ideas!