Friday, October 26, 2012

Crock Pot Teriyaki Chicken Soup

Pin It Now!


This is my third occasion to make this soup and I LOVE IT!!! The inspiration for this soup came from a recipe posted by a blogging buddy,Penny from the Lake Lure Kitchen. In place of her (WONDERFUL) teriyaki chicken thigh served on rice (Another crock pot dish); I present my adapted Chicken Teriyaki Crock Pot Soup!

Made all the easier by using pieces from my beloved Rotisserie Chicken (Yes, making this one of my most delicious "52 Uses for a Rotisserie Chicken"!

BUT... Did you ever have one of those days... well, one of those 5 Minutes?  I did yesterday.  Indeed I made this soup.  Everything I post here is original, photography included, just to prove I made the dish.  But I had one of those equipment malfunctions yesterday.  I photographed the dish, along with a new compliment to the soup... Some Thai Scallion Pancakes I used as crackers.  They came out great, worked REALLY amazing for the Asian flavored croutons...

Just no photos... Sigh
But I do have a post from my past (former internet life (a different blog identity)... Cong You Bing (Scallion Pancakes).  

In all humility, I must say that it is  a very good instructional post.  Lots of photos and how-to instructions to get these fried bread Thai restaurant appetizer treats duplicated in your home kitchen.

They take very little hands on time (the dough does sit in the fridge resting for awhile... but hands on, very little time), and as I said...

A GREAT addition to the Soup!


OK, on to the soup...

I made this in a Crock pot, cause, "If it ain't ready by 6 AM, We ain't gonna eat tonight".  A great way to allow all of these more complex tastes to meld into a soup.  And of course, a great way to make a soup while the cat's away!

Here's what I did...


Crock Pot Teriyaki Chicken Soup


Ingredients
  • 1 Cup Sugar
  • 1 Cup Soy Sauce
  • 1/2 Cup Cider Vinegar
  • 1 tsp Ground Ginger
  • 1 tsp Garlic Powder
  • 1 tsp Fresh ground Pepper
  • 2 Cups Chicken Stock
  • 1 Cup Carrots, sliced
  • 1 Cup Onions, Sliced
  • 1 Cup Celery, Sliced
  • 2 Cups Meat taken from a Rotisserie Chicken, chopped
  • To Taste Salt and Pepper
Cooking Directions
  1. This is a one dish meal... A Crock Pot. Turn it to medium heat (to cook all day, Approximately 12 hours)
  2. In the bottom of the Crock Pot, whisk together the Sugar, Soy Sauce, Cider Vinegar, Ginger and Garlic. Season with a couple of pinches Pepper (Plenty of Salt in the Soy sauce, so no need to salt).
  3. Add the chicken now and give it a few minutes to soak the teriyaki sauce into the meat. About the same amount of time it takes you to slice the vegetables.
  4. Add the chicken stock.
  5. Add the Carrots, Celery and Onions, give it a good stir, cover and enjoy your day...
  6. Garnish with Green Onions and serve with Scallion Pancakes
  7. 6-12 hours later, serve hot and ENJOY!
I have one more addendum to this recipe...

Teriyaki Chicken and WAFFLES!!!

Really, this is a WONDERFUL morning after breakfast.  Makes sense, just think of the waffles as slightly sweet croutons.  Be sure to crust up your waffles so they have a crunch to them.  Otherwise the waffles become too soggy soaking in the soup.

Personally, I loved the savory breakfast alternative and would suggest any of these trendy waffle stations set up for fancy Sunday Brunches to add a savory alternative!


******************************************************

This recipe has been added to my growing list of "52 Uses For a Rotisserie Chicken"  (Now close to 100!)...I am so confused... $5.49 for a fully cooked, fully seasoned Oven Roasted, Rotisserie Chicken. Yet shop in the raw meat department and most raw chickens are at best $8 each and usually far closer to $10. Anyone have an answer??? Me either. So, I can either rail against the machine, or learn to embrace the beauty that is the $5 chicken! In this pin are recipes I have made, and recommend. MORE than 52 (I just can't stop)..
You get the idea.  From Scratch Pizza to Chinese Take Out recipes, Lots of Soups and Chili... Appetizers to Main Courses (Still can't find a dessert, but I am looking).  More than enough ideas for that store nought bird to shine with just a little extra work

***********************PINTEREST*********************

Come and find me on Pinterest... Any of my "52 Ways to cook" Boards are worth following.  If you like this post, please take a second and "Pin" this to your own boards... Better yet, if you are part of a foodie group board please take a second and add this post to your group pins... best way to show your Love!

And BTW, if you are not yet part of a group board, drop me an email at Contact@eRecipeCards.com and request to be added to my group board... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! (be sure to include your pinterest ID when you write)  Once you are added, any pins you add will be seen by 10s of THOUSANDS of followers of the board (and growing daily).

Rules, only 2... 
  1. In order to join you need to start following the group board as well as at least one of my boards.
  2. And you must ONLY pin original sources, posts from food related bloggers only.  If you are a blogger, this is a great way to have thousands of potential readers see your work,  If you are a fan of bloggers, a great way to share your favorites...
    Come and be a part of ... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! on Pinterest

1 comment:

  1. You have done more with that original teriyaki chicken than I would have ever thought possible. The soup looks great. BTW I had a similar experience with my camera. Thought I had great pictures of the spinach souffles that I made for David's birthday breakfast, only to find that they never showed up on my memory card. I'm making them again for Sunday brunch.

    ReplyDelete

FMP