Thursday, October 4, 2012

Pineapple Pico de Gallo (Pineapple Salsa)

Pin It Now!

Taking a break today from my 52 Uses for a Rotisserie Chicken series for something fresh, fun, tropical and as you will see, a terrific ingredient for a chicken enchilada (come back tomorrow for that)!

This is all raw ingredients, so the freshest most flavorful tomatoes you can find is essential.  This is best after a trip to a local farmer's market as supermarket hot house tomatoes are fine for cooking, but really just do not cut it for this recipe.

The spice comes from a savory Herbes de Provence combination.  I actually make up my own spice mix I call, "not your Grandmother's HERBES de PROVENCE".  It is very similar to the classic mix.  But I add Garlic and best of all some fresh Lemon Zest.  If you are looking for a spicy more Mexican tasting Pico, just shake in a few drops of Tabasco Sauce to taste.

Makes a great appetizer dip with the sweet pineapple, sharp onions, fresh flavorful tomatoes and that savory cilantro taste!

Keep Scrolling down for a look at this easy to follow recipe!


Here's what I did...

First a couple of tips...

I am listing the ingredients by "Part" instead of by cups (1/2 cups, TBS, Pints, etc.),  This way you can make up as much as you like for a big party or just a little for an afternoon with a good book.  The recipe easily doubles and tastes even better the second day when all of the flavors blend (although the look is not as crisp as the pineapple mutes the colors of the tomatoes).

And as I said above, I use a savory  "not your Grandmother's HERBES de PROVENCE". of my own creation (follow the blue lettering link for that recipe if you are feeling creative).  Feel free to use a store bought herb mixture or a mixture of your own creation.

And again, as I said...Mine is not very spicy.  Feel free to add a few drops of Tabasco!

And finally, a note about chopping... It is best to chop all the ingredients approximately the same size


Pineapple Pico de Gallo


Ingredients
Cooking Directions
  1. Assemble all of your ingredients and mix well. Add the Tabasco if desired. Serve chilled, resting in the refrigerator for an hour to allow the flavors to meld.

And come back tomorrow when I get back on track for another AMAZING use of a rotisserie chicken!

Chicken Enchiladas!




No comments:

Post a Comment

FMP