Thursday, October 25, 2012

Sesame Chicken Points - Fried Pizza Appetizers

Pin It Now!

Yeap, just what it sounds like... Pizza, but fried!  It actually is a version of a Thai appetizer, shrimp points.  But where I came up with the idea for this is a bit of a story (long story if you like).

A couple of years ago I had an unusual opportunity.  My wife was taking a temporary job assignment in St. Thomas (one of the US Virgin Islands).  I was able to come along, basically as her personal cook and companion.  The LONG version of that was turned into a blog where I made a daily post about our adventures, what we saw and did... Daily Photos in St. Thomas!  If you check out the blog, work backwards from the first day, it does tell a story.

But I digress... My time on the island was well served towards my culinary education.  Mainly because the prices were outrageous.  Everything had to be boated in, so fresh vegetables were difficult to impossible to find without spending 2 or 3 times Stateside prices.  Same with milk or any meat.  Only two items on the island were roughly the same costs (or lower).  The only bargain I found was Rum... a bottle of Rum was cheaper than the same size bottle of Orange Juice.  I did learn to make an umbrella drink or two.

The other bargain was a Store Bought, Fully Cooked, Fully Seasoned Rotisserie Chicken.  Really!  In the land of $10 a pound ground beef, you could finds a rotisserie bird for about $6.  SO I learned to make a lot of things with chicken.

I also learned to stretch that bird as far as possible... Even 1/2 a cup of meat... The same amount I would usually just leave on the bones so I can flavor my stock now, Then I would shave off to make this dish.


As I said, I was inspired from a recipe for Thai Shrimp Points.  I was also making a lot of pizzas then (another way to stretch your food budget).  I was excited to try a fried pizza.  I eventually came up with this recipe that I could make for pennies (actually nothing as I was using ingredients that was salvaged from the trash pile of other dishes.

So... here's what I did...

First, you need some pizza dough.  You can buy a ball of dough from your local pizza shop (usually), or mast big grocery chains will now sell a ball.  Or, of course you can make your own (Click HERE for my easy, ready in 30 minutes Pizza dough recipe).

Here's the recipe for the topping and how to cook 'em...


Sesame Chicken Points


Ingredients
  • 1 Ball Pizza Dough
  • 1/2 Cup minced Chicken meat from a Rotisserie Chicken
  • 1 TBS Olive Oil
  • 1 TBS Minced onion
  • 3 Cloves Minced garlic
  • 2 medium Scallions, sliced green parts and whites
  • 1 tsp Sesame Seeds
  • Olive Oil Enough to coat the bottom of a frying pan
Cooking Directions
  1. Divide pizza dough ball into 4ths. Roll each out thin, about 1/4 inch thick.
  2. In a heavy bottomed frying pan, heat the oil to just before starting to smoke.
  3. In a mini chopper blender or small food processor, Place Chicken, Olive Oil, Onion and garlic and process until you have a paste.
  4. Smear the chicken paste over the dough rounds. Top each with 1/4th of the Scallions and Sesame Seeds. Cut into 4ths (toast points)
  5. Place the points in the frying pan, goo side up. Fry until golden brown, about 2 minutes
  6. Flip the goo side down and cook for another two minutes, until the goo becomes equally golden brown and DELICIOUS! you will start to smell the garlic and sesame seeds cooking.
  7. Serve Warm and ENJOY!

******************************************************

This recipe has been added to my growing list of "52 Uses For a Rotisserie Chicken"  (Now close to 100!)...I am so confused... $5.49 for a fully cooked, fully seasoned Oven Roasted, Rotisserie Chicken. Yet shop in the raw meat department and most raw chickens are at best $8 each and usually far closer to $10. Anyone have an answer??? Me either. So, I can either rail against the machine, or learn to embrace the beauty that is the $5 chicken! In this pin are recipes I have made, and recommend. MORE than 52 (I just can't stop)..
You get the idea.  From Scratch Pizza to Chinese Take Out recipes, Lots of Soups and Chili... Appetizers to Main Courses (Still can't find a dessert, but I am looking).  More than enough ideas for that store nought bird to shine with just a little extra work

***********************PINTEREST*********************

Come and find me on Pinterest... Any of my "52 Ways to cook" Boards are worth following.  If you like this post, please take a second and "Pin" this to your own boards... Better yet, if you are part of a foodie group board please take a second and add this post to your group pins... best way to show your Love!

And BTW, if you are not yet part of a group board, drop me an email at Contact@eRecipeCards.com and request to be added to my group board... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! (be sure to include your pinterest ID when you write)  Once you are added, any pins you add will be seen by 10s of THOUSANDS of followers of the board (and growing daily).

Rules, only 2... 
  1. In order to join you need to start following the group board as well as at least one of my boards.
  2. And you must ONLY pin original sources, posts from food related bloggers only.  If you are a blogger, this is a great way to have thousands of potential readers see your work,  If you are a fan of bloggers, a great way to share your favorites...
    Come and be a part of ... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment

FMP