Sunday, November 17, 2013

Alabama White BBQ Sauce for my Holiday Turkey - Grilling Time BBQ Sauce

Pin It Now!

We are at the end of my "Practice" Thanksgiving meal.  I made this a couple of weeks before Thanksgiving so I could try a few new dishes.  Among them is my brand new favorite, Alabama White Sauce that I use to sauce up my slices of turkey.  Adds a beautiful contrasting look to the caramelized smoke turkey (See yesterdays post, I used a Cranberry BBQ Sauce I whipped up to get that deep rich mahogany color).

But it's the taste that sets this apart.  The sauce is Mayonnaise based.  Think of an Aioli and you will be close.  It has been made famous by Chris Lilly owner and celebrity cook of Big Bob Gibson BBQ joint in Alabama.  I did a little research and found several versions of this recipe, actually more than one version credited to Chris himself.  So I took a little of this recipe and a little of that one and came up with a version I liked best.  My main contribution of the legend is the extra Cajun Spices.  Mayo on turkey is just fine for a sandwich.  As a serving sauce, I like the extra kick.

The sauce is my new favorite.  I usually end up buying a store bought pre-seasoned, pre-cooked rotisserie chicken from Sam's Club once a week.  Much as I like cooking different meals with the bird (see my "52 Uses for a rotisserie chicken" page).  Lately, just a few slices and this sauce for a sandwich has been my use of choice.  It also tastes great on slice pork loin.  And if you are serving a sliced veggie tray, this makes a lick the celery stick dipping sauce.  Beware of those double dippers.

If you like the looks of that turkey, take a look at this post...


That post has all the how-to's that you need for a spatchcocked turkey.  That's BBQ Speak for taking the back bone out and butterflying it so that the meat cooks more evenly.

It also covers smoking your turkey on a Weber Kettle Grill.  No need for that $1,000 dollar smoker when you have one of those in your back yard.  Frees up the oven for fresh pie anyway!  

Give this new regional sauce a try... It is destined to be a favorite of yours!


OK... Here's what I did...


Cajuned Up 
Alabama White Sauce


Ingredients
  • 2 Cups Mayonnaise
  • 1 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
  • 2 TBS Lemon Juice
  • Several turns of a Pepper Grinder
  • 1 tsp Sea Salt
  • 2 TBS (more or less - To Taste) Cajun SPice Mix
Cooking Directions
  1. Mix all ingredients together.
  2. It is important to taste as you add the Cajun Spice Mix. Add "to taste"
  3. Refrigerate for at least 8 hours before using. Brush lightly over chicken, turkey or pork during the last few minutes of grilling.
  4. Or drizzle over cooked sliced turkey on a serving platter (Baptized)
  5. OR... This sauce is also great as a dipping sauce so set some aside for a veggie tray.
  6. Serve chilled and ENJOY!!!

So, OK... As I said, this is the final post of my "practice" Thanksgiving meal.  All in all, I am very pleased with the results.  Here's a recap.  As always, double click the photos or the blue lettering for the magic of the internet to show you the recipes...

For my BREAD, instead of rolls I served thick slices of buttered 10 Minute Bread Machine Rosemary Bread.

It is called 10 minute bread not because start to finish you are done in 10 minutes, but because, thanks to the use of the bread machine, it only takes 10 minutes.  the machine does all the hard work, while all you do is shape the loaf and bake in your oven.  EASY PEASY and looks Artisan!

For the first of my side dishes I decided on a new Stuffing (actually cooked outside the bird, so more accurately - Dressing), Outside The Box Dressing

Filled with Onions, Sweet Corn and Spinach, but the real star of the show is the Beer Bread used for the bread... This was amazing and is my new GOTO Stuffing (pondering making a one pot meal with this and some Beer Brats mixed together... for another day).

Every meal needs some vegetables, here's mu holiday version of green beans... Candied Bacon wrapped Green Bean Bundles!

Now these veggies, no picky 10 year old would turn don... Veggies wrapped in bacon and caramelized with brown sugar... Holidays are about indulgence.

And for the classic... Mashed Potatoes.  I posted a review of Alton Brown's Mashers, Garlic Mashed Potatoes.

Of course they have the Alton flare, and sure enough... Everything you hope garlic mashers would be.  Classic sure, but the best!

Next side is a twist on TWO classics... Cranberry sauce and Sweet Potatoes.  This is a wonderful combination... Honey Buttered Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Walnut Cranberry Sauce!

The secret as they say is in the sauce.  This cranberry sauce is by far the best I have ever had.  

As to meat... I like to offer choices.  In addition to the turkey, I smoked a brisket... a simple THREE INGREDIENT INJECTED SMOKED BRISKET With a TEXAS SPICE RUB for when it absolutely positively has to be moist tender and delicious!

And it was!

And finally... save room for dessert...

I made two pies.  I struggled for a long time to find a scratch made pie crust that was consistent and good.  I finally went old school and listened to my Mother-In-Law's scratch Lard/Shortening recipe... works everytime and is included on all the links.


Yeap, loaded with Caramel Sauce inside the nutty custard center.

And finally, old school once again... with an old fashioned Sweet Potato Pie (A personal favorite)!

This year, I have an awful lot to be thankful for.  My wife with the inconvenient day job is about to start a new adventure that will have life changing consequences (more on that next month).  For my "Practice" Thanksgiving, my Mom and step-father came for an all too rare visit from Phoenix.  It has been almost a decade since she came North to visit and what a joy.  In addition, my son, PFC James came to visit from the Army.  He is stationed in Fort Riley Kansas, only a couple of hours away.  He already has his marching orders and he will be involved and deployed in closing bases in Afghanistan this time next year,  It's an odd feeling of incredible pride (Medic in the Army), and incredible fear (Someone over there hates him enough to shoot at him).  But for now, in all his travels, he is stationed only a couple hours from me... Now THIS is a reason to be Thankful.


*************************************************************************

So,  I am pleased to list this as one of my Growing list of  "52 Grilling Time Secret Extras" or "52 Ways to Cook BBQ and Grilling Recipes"!!!

Well over 52 recipes actually as I just can't stop... Over 100 in one grilling season (I love to grill!). But not just leat... Drinks, Condiments (LOTS of different BBQ sauces), Drinks, Desserts... even specialty items like GRILLED Pizza, and fun shaped Watermelons.  Easy and these ideas will make you the MASTER of your Backyard Domain!

****************************PINTEREST**************************

Come and find me on Pinterest... Any of my "52 Ways to cook" Boards are worth following.  If you like this post, please take a second and "Pin" this to your own boards... Better yet, if you are part of a foodie group board please take a second and add this post to your group pins... best way to show your Love!

And BTW, if you are not yet part of a group board, drop me an email at Contact@eRecipeCards.com and request to be added to my group board... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! (be sure to include your pinterest ID when you write)  Once you are added, any pins you add will be seen by 10s of THOUSANDS of followers of the board (and growing daily).

Rules, only 2... 
  1. In order to join you need to start following the group board as well as at least one of my boards.
  2. And you must ONLY pin original sources, posts from food related bloggers only.  If you are a blogger, this is a great way to have thousands of potential readers see your work,  If you are a fan of bloggers, a great way to share your favorites...
    Come and be a part of ... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment

FMP