Sunday, July 21, 2013

Pineapple ABT (Jalapeno, Cream Cheese, Pineapple and BACON) Frittata SANDWICH

Pin It Now!

Last week I made a Grilled Pineapple ABT... The polite term for an Atomic Buffalo Turd!  Grillers, BBQers and Smokers know that these little appetizers of cream cheese stuffed Jalepenos wrapped in BACON are always a crowd pleaser.  I sweetened mine a bit with a bit of pineapple.  They came out fantastic.

Ordinarily there are never ant of these left... They are just that good!  But I planned ahead and set three aside to make a fritatta.  Not too surprisingly enough, someone found them and nabbed two before I could make my Italian Omelette.  So, instead of a BIG Fritatta that would feed 2 or 3 people I ended up with a small one for my lunch.

But, while whipping this together I made a change of ace decision... SANDWICH!

Not all that different, still eggs and cream, still the stuff I had for dinner as filling.  I just cut out a circle to fit a bun, ate the remaining dribs and drabs like I would baked eggs and I had a delicious little snack lunch.

So, next afternoon... Leftovers are turned into something new and delicious!  I mean really what's not to love in an egg sandwich... Peppers, creamy cheese, bacon and a little hint of pineapple!


Of course, you remember everything I have said about Fritattas (think Italian Open faced Omelette).  In this case, a basic Italian Omelette, the Fritatta!  I have done a couple of posts on making a Fritatta... A basic, sort of Fritatta 101, and a Tomato Fritata (see the photo).  They are basically the same and I worked hard on the details so that indeed, "Anyone can cook" these if they read over those blog posts.  The Fritatta really is the easiest of all the omelette recipes to make.  No vigorous shaking (the French), no Folding (This might be an American invention, certainly popularized in American cuisine).

Well, making a Firtatta has become a way of life for me.  Aside from the two blog posts mentioned above, I stopped even looking at a recipe *they are simple, eggs, a little cream, butter for the pan and whatever extra you want to use).  The technique is important, so do take a look at the Fritatta 101 post to see what I am talking about.  I stopped asking permission to change the recipe long ago.  Mostly I make fritattas from whatever I had for dinner last night.  Fish, beef, pork, vegetables, cheese, salami... Everything but soup.

So, here's my series... Once a week for a year I am going to give you permission to try something yourself... The Whatever I had for dinner last night Fritatta!

So, what I had for dinner last night was a grilled Cheese Stuffed Pepper and a bit of Pineapple!.

Grilled Atomic Buffalo Turd Frittata,

Here's What I Did...

2 Eggs
1 TBS Heavy Cream
1/2 Cup Left Over Pineapple ABT
1 TBS Butter
  1. Dice up the Leftovers
  2. Preheat the oven to Broil setting
  3. In a Non Stick oven safe saute Pan, over medium high heat melt a TBS of Butter
  4. Add the Leftovers and sautee until heated
  5. Whisk together 2 Eggs and a TBS of Heavy Cream (sure,milk will work)
  6. Add the eggs gently over the fixins
  7. heat for 4 minutes on the stove top, until the eggs around the edge are set but the center is still jiggly wet.
  8. Move the pan to the oven and broil for 2 minutes.  Check to see if the top is set and is just starting to brown.
  9. Repeat if needed
  10. Flip the fritatta onto a preheated plate.  This may take practice, but by the time you do a couple of weeks' worth you will have it down perfect, place a plate upside down over the saute pan, hold the bottom of the plate (now n top) solidly with the palm of your hand and holding the handle of the pan, quickly and smoothly, FLIP
  11. Slice enough to fit a bun for a sandwich, eat the rest as baked eggs
  12. Serve HOT and ENJOY!\
Now, what's your idea for a
Whatever I had for dinner last night Fritatta!!!

here's my list ... SO FAR!


Fritatta #1...

 I had a rare plate of take out food, Sweet and Sour Chicken from my local Asian take out place.

Turned into a FANTASTIC Sweet and Sour Chicken Fritatta!

Fritatta #2...

I Really spiced things up with another grilling gem when I cooked up a GRILLED Curry Chicken Fritatta, balanced heat and sweet with a side of some seasonal Pineapple!

Fritatta #3

This time I actually made a CLASSIC TRUE Italian recipe with leftover potatoes and onions to create a Fried Potato, Onion and Blue Cheese  Fritatta.  Some grapes and tomato slices really made for a wonderful breakfast!

Fritatta #4

A dinner of Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes turns into yet another delicious loaded up specialty breakfast....  The MEATLOAF FRITATTA is made with an Italian meatloaf recipe, loaded with Sofrito vegetables.  I even made up some mashed potato cakes also from the leftovers!

Fritatta #5

An indulgent dinner of a grilled steak turns into a classic BEST use of leftovers, Steak and Eggs, turns into a delicious Steak and Eggs Fritatta!  Add some tomato slices for color and sweetness and you have a "new" Classic Steak and Egg dish!

Fritatta #6

Last night we had a CAJUN NIGHT of a big pot of Beer Pineapple CAJUN New Orleans Style Jambalaya and it was FANTASTIC!

And all those spicy sweet Cajun ingredients made one heck of a wonderful Fritatta!

Fritatta #7

Last night was a rare night of take out Chinese food.  I saved a bit of Sesame Chicken to make my Fritatta.

Deliciously seasoned with Asian spices and sauces, this was one of my favorites!

Fritatta #8

Last night was a fantastic opportunity to cook with a food blogging buddy as I got Smoking lessons on a Big Green Egg.  We slow smoked a Pork Loin and I grilled some Cherry Tomatoes and Snow Peas...
Made a FANTASTIC Pork, Cherry tomato and Sugar Snap pea Fritatta!

Fritatta #9

Last night I made BACON BACON BACON... but not just any bacon, this was Bourbon Maple Pepper BACON!  Sounds good doesn't it?  And it made an even better Bourbon Maple Pepper Bacon Fritatta!!!

Fritatta #10

Last Night I made some Smoked Ribs!  Ribs with a Citrus, Honey and Garlic glaze!  Plus some Corn Bread which tasted great with the Rib Meat Fritatta!  A always, a fantastic way to create an all new dish from leftovers!

Fritatta #11

Last night I made some Pulled Pork and it is about my very favorite thing to eat in the world!  I added a bit of onion, but this is a great use of leftovers.  SOmething new from last night's meal.  A Pulled Pork Fritatta is about as good as it gets!

Fritatta #12

Last night I made a Sausage, Onion and Pepper Stir Fry!  very simple, very fast and one of my favorite quicky Go To dinners.  Takes just minutes to prepare.  And now I make just a little extra to make a fantastic Onion, Pepper and SAUSAGE Skillet Breakfast FRITATTA!

Fritatta #13

Last night I made some fantastic Vegetable Stuffed Peppers.  Lots of stuff, corn, peppers, onions, cheese... even more!  The perfect stuffing for a STUFFED PEPPER FRITATTA!  Delicious!




Come back next Sunday and see what Dinner meal I turn into the ultimate use of leftovers... The Italian omelette, the Fritatta!!!





1 comment:

FMP