Sunday, May 5, 2013

Potatoes, Onion and Blue Cheese Sauce Frittata or Week 3 of What I Had for Dinner Last Night Fritatta

Pin It Now!

It's week 3 in my series, "What I had for Dinner Last night Fritatta"!

Last night I had a FANTASTIC... Grilled Potato Wedges with a Cheddar Cheese Sauce

Of course, you remember everything I have said about Fritattas (think Italian Open faced Omelette).  In this case, a basic Italian Omelette, the Frittata!  I have done a couple of posts on making a Fritatta... A basic, sort of Fritatta 101, and a Tomato Fritata (see the photo).  They are basically the same and I worked hard on the details so that indeed, "Anyone can cook" these if they read over the blog post.  The Fritatta really is the easiest of all the omelette recipes to make.  No vigorous shaking (the French), no Folding (This might be an American invention, certainly popularized in American cuisine).

Well, making a Firtatta has become a way of life for me.  Aside from the two blog posts mentioned above, I stopped even looking at a recipe *they are simple, eggs, a little cream, butter for the pan and whatever extra you want to use).  The technique is important, so do take a look at the Fritatta 101 post to see what I am talking about.  I stopped asking permission to change the recipe long ago.  Mostly I make fritattas from whatever I had for dinner last night.  Fish, beef, pork, vegetables, cheese, salami... Everything but soup.

So, here's my new series... Once a week for a year I am going to give you permission to try something yourself... The Whatever I had for dinner last night Fritatta!

So, what I had for dinner last night was a grilled burger and some grilled Potato wedges with cheddar cheese sauce.  For the easy to follow directions and recipe for the sauce, follow the blue lettered link.  A Potato Fritatta is actually a classic dish, simple, easy to make with readily available ingredients.  Of course even more readily available when cooking with leftovers.

To pretty the plate up I added a few tomato slices and some grapes.

It really was simple enough...

4 Eggs
1 TBS Heavy Cream
1 Cup Leftover Potato Wedges alredy drizzled with Cheddar Cheese Sauce, rough chop
1/2 Small Red Onion, rough chop
1 small Tomato, sliced for garnish
a handful of Grapes to use as garnish

  1. Dice up the Potatoes and Onions.
  2. Preheat the oven to Broil setting
  3. In a Non Stick oven safe saute Pan, over medium high heat melt a TBS of Butter
  4. Whisk together 4 Eggs and a TBS of Heavy Cream (sure,milk will work)
  5. Loosely cover the bottom of a non stick saute pan with the potatoes and onions
  6. Add the eggs gently over the taters
  7. heat for 4 minutes on the stove top, until the eggs around the edge are set but the center is still jiggly wet.
  8. Move the pan to the oven and broil for 2 minutes.  Check to see if the top is set and is just starting to brown.
  9. Repeat if needed
  10. Flip the fritatta onto a preheated plate.  This may take practice, but by the time you do a couple of weeks' worth you will have it down perfect, place a plate upside down over the saute pan, hold the bottom of the plate (now n top) solidly with the palm of your hand and holding the handle of the pan, quickly and smoothly, FLIP
  11. Serve HOT and ENJOY!  Serves two.
Now, what's your idea for a Whatever I had for dinner last night Fritatta?


Fritatta #1...

 I had a rare plate of take out food, Sweet and Sour Chicken from my local Asian take out place.

Turned into a FANTASTIC Sweet and Sour Chicken Fritatta!

Fritatta #2...

I Really spiced things up with another grilling gem when I cooked up a GRILLED Curry Chicken Fritatta, balanced heat and sweet with a side of some seasonal Pineapple!

No comments:

Post a Comment

FMP