Friday, May 10, 2013

Almost Healthy ORANGE SUPREME CAKE - My Wife COOKS!!!

Pin It Now!

A few years back I took over all of the cooking duties in our household.  It was a long slow learning curve, but eventually I think I know what I am doing in the kitchen.

My wife has an inconvenient day job, but in her dark, mysterious past she was a right fine cook in her own right (I never starved).

It is all too rare when she goes beyond souz chefing for me, but occasionally she will surprise me with something amazing...

Last weekend I grabbed my visiting son (stationed at Fort Riley, Ks, only a couple hours drive away) and we had father son bonding time over Iron Man 3... While we were off doing male bonding, Jackie stayed home and "Invented" this recipe...

A combination of reading a lot of health, nutrition and food magazines and being taught to bake by her mother using whatever ingredients on hand to substitute.  The cake was FANTASTIC, moist and delicious and loaded with extra flavors.  Uses a cake mix, but egg-less, has fruit in the mix and while certainly not health food, almost guilt free...


In her own words, Here's what she did...

I used a Duncan Hines orange Supreme cake mix and 2 9 inch round cake pans.

In this recipe, I substituted 1 ½ bananas for the eggs and used the juice of one orange for a portion of the water. I also used the zest of the orange in the mix.

Preheat oven to 350 – or 325 for dark pans.

Grease and flour bottom of pan(s).

Blend cake mix, 1 ½ ripe bananas, 1 1/3 cups of water (Use orange juice, then add water to make 1 1/3 cups) and 1/3 cup of vegetable oil and the orange zest.

This is a very moist cake, so I also added 1 ½ tsp of baking soda to add fluffiness.

Blend all ingredients in a large bowl at low speed until moistened (about 30 seconds). Then beat at medium speed for 2 minutes.

Pour into pans and bake immediately.

The baking chart on the box advised to bake for 28-31 minutes, but I baked at least 10 minutes longer because the cakes were very dense.

For the icing, I used the Wilton buttercream frosting recipe, however, I added orange juice instead of the water and ½ tsp of orange flavoring. Then, I decorated the cake with orange zest and orange slices. 

It was picture-worthy.

Better than that, it was DELICIOUS!!!


******************************************************

This simple recipe has been added to my growing list of "52 Cakes and Pies at Home"!

These are the desserts you make for your family.  No fancy amazing wedding cakes, just the rustic beauty of the classics.  From pumpkin pie to cheesecakes to layer cakes, these are what your family craves for dessert.  You may even see a few unusual crusts and frosting ideas to try.

You get the idea. These recipes are simple, delicious and will have your family wanting dessert first...

***********************PINTEREST*********************

Come and find me on Pinterest... Any of my "52 Ways to cook" Boards are worth following.  If you like this post, please take a second and "Pin" this to your own boards... Better yet, if you are part of a foodie group board please take a second and add this post to your group pins... best way to show your Love!

And BTW, if you are not yet part of a group board, drop me an email at Contact@eRecipeCards.com and request to be added to my group board... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! (be sure to include your pinterest ID when you write)  Once you are added, any pins you add will be seen by 10s of THOUSANDS of followers of the board (and growing daily).

Rules, only 2... 
  1. In order to join you need to start following the group board as well as at least one of my boards.
  2. And you must ONLY pin original sources, posts from food related bloggers only.  If you are a blogger, this is a great way to have thousands of potential readers see your work,  If you are a fan of bloggers, a great way to share your favorites...
    Come and be a part of ... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment

FMP