Saturday, May 25, 2013

Grilling Time (Condiments) - Pickled Red Onions

Pin It Now!

I love these little gems... SO SO SO SO Easy, takes about 5 minutes to assemble.  I do a tiny amount of canning, Made up a few pickle jars, some peaches and jams and I always make up batches of Marinara Sauce.  I am just learning and have big plans to expand this year.  BUT, when I checked my log I actually made these more often than anything (except the tomato sauce).  They are great to perk up a sandwich, add a little zing to leftovers and easy to mix in with about any vegetable.

And did I mention easy, no messy big canning efforts, 1 jar at a time that lasts a couple of weeks.  No boiling the jars (this is called refrigerator canning).  As they cool, the lids are self sealing.

Just one of those little extras that make you stand out as "That Guy" (or Gal) as the king of back yard grillers!!!

Enjoy Indeed!!!



Here's what I did...

3 Red Onions, sliced
2 whole Bay Leaves
2 TBS Mustard Seeds
1 dried Chili Peppers
2 TBS "Not Your grandmother's Herbes de Provence" (feel free to substitute the herbs of your choice)
1 canning jar
3 TBS Sugar
Pinch of Salt
3/4 cup Vinegar

  1. In a sauce pan, heat the vinegar, bay leaves, chili peppers, herbs, sugar and salt to boiling. 
  2. Add the onion slices and stir for 1 minute, till the onions get soft. 
  3. Transfer everything to the jar, seal and refrigerate 
  4. Serve as a side dish, topping for pulled pork or use in recipes.
This is one of those "When I think of it recipes" that whenever I have them I always say I need to constantly have them available.  They are fantastic and you can put them on anything... Salads, even pizzas, of course they really shine at a back yard BBQ/Grilling session.  they are a beautiful addition to a condiment table, look lovely on a burger and even stand out on a Beer Braised "Brat" Kabob" (photo below) dinner party!



*************************************************************************

So,  I am pleased to list this as one of my Growing list of  "52 Grilling Time Secret Extras" or "52 Ways to Cook BBQ and Grilling Recipes"!!!

Well over 52 recipes actually as I just can't stop... Over 100 in one grilling season (I love to grill!). But not just leat... Drinks, Condiments (LOTS of different BBQ sauces), Drinks, Desserts... even specialty items like GRILLED Pizza, and fun shaped Watermelons.  Easy and these ideas will make you the MASTER of your Backyard Domain!

****************************PINTEREST**************************

Come and find me on Pinterest... Any of my "52 Ways to cook" Boards are worth following.  If you like this post, please take a second and "Pin" this to your own boards... Better yet, if you are part of a foodie group board please take a second and add this post to your group pins... best way to show your Love!

And BTW, if you are not yet part of a group board, drop me an email at Contact@eRecipeCards.com and request to be added to my group board... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! (be sure to include your pinterest ID when you write)  Once you are added, any pins you add will be seen by 10s of THOUSANDS of followers of the board (and growing daily).

Rules, only 2... 
  1. In order to join you need to start following the group board as well as at least one of my boards.
  2. And you must ONLY pin original sources, posts from food related bloggers only.  If you are a blogger, this is a great way to have thousands of potential readers see your work,  If you are a fan of bloggers, a great way to share your favorites...
    Come and be a part of ... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment

FMP