Friday, May 3, 2013

Grilling Time (Side Dish) - Ramen Noodle Broccoli Cole Slaw

Pin It Now!

Ramon Noodle - Broccoli Slaw... The good news/bad news salad...

On Good news days, this reminds me of my youth, growing up in the days of Church Pot Luck Dinners, a pickup baseball game in the field behind the church afterwards and the fun CYO leader bringing a pickup truck with a cooler of Nehi on ice and watermelon.

On bad days, this reminds me of funerals and the dinner following.

Either way, if the church basement ladies made it you know its good!

These days, it's all pretty much good as this is one of my go-to easy, do in advance salads, perfect for a back yard grill/BBQ session.  You have to look close, but in the photo to the right  you can see that I used this salad as a base to platter the Grilled Curry Chicken Thighs with a Maple Chipotle Glaze.  That's the Ramen/Broccoli Slaw under the chicken, surrounded by the Pimiento Bacon Burgers (yesterday's post) and an extra side of Blue Cheese Potato Salad (yesterday's post).

A GREAT Day on the Grill!

It also is a terrific salad to serve with the spicy curry chicken since the dressing on the slaw is sweetened with brown sugar.  A little Heat and Sweet Action!

And BTW, this decades old recipe is actually MUCH better the next day.  Once the spices and seasonings have a chance to mix, coat and absorb, the salad is at it's best.  Perfect to free you up for all the fast action associated with grilling.


OK... Here's what I did...


Ramen Noodle
Broccoli Cole Slaw


Ingredients
  • 1 Package (3 ounces) Ramen Noodles Oriental Flavor (others work well also)
  • 1 Package (12 Ounces) Broccoli Slaw (in the bagged salad section of the store)
  • 1 Stick (8 TBS) Butter
  • 1/3 Cup Slivered Almonds
  • FOR THE DRESSING
  • 1/3 Cup Olive Oil
  • 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
  • 4 TBS Apple Cider Vinegar
  • Seasoning Packet From the Ramon Noodle Mix
Cooking Directions
  1. Crush the Ramen noodles with a rolling pin while melting butter in a large skillet over low/medium heat.
  2. Add the crushed noodles and slivered almonds to the skillet and saute, stirring occasionally (keep temperature at low/medium heat).
  3. Meanwhile, whisk together all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
  4. Place the shredded broccoli into bowl and toss with the noodles, almonds.
  5. Pour dressing over salad and toss to coat.
  6. Serve Chilled and ENJOY!!!

*************************************************************************

So,  I am pleased to list this as one of my Growing list of  "52 Grilling Time Secret Extras" or "52 Ways to Cook BBQ and Grilling Recipes"!!!

Well over 52 recipes actually as I just can't stop... Over 100 in one grilling season (I love to grill!). But not just leat... Drinks, Condiments (LOTS of different BBQ sauces), Drinks, Desserts... even specialty items like GRILLED Pizza, and fun shaped Watermelons.  Easy and these ideas will make you the MASTER of your Backyard Domain!

*************************************************************************

So,  I am pleased to list this as one of my Growing list of  "52 Ways to Cook Side Dish Recipes"!!!

Sure the meat gets all the glory but real cooks know it's the spread... the specialty Side Dishes that makes a meal rise or fall. Here's a few of my favorite recipes that will help to create that illusive COMPLETE MENU!

LOTS of Potato Sides, Vegetable Sides, Specialty Salads, Bread and MORE!

*************************************************************************

So,  I am pleased to list this as one of my Growing list of  "52 Specialty Salad Recipes"!!!

Sometimes they are the main course, sometimes a lunch and sometimes they are the side dish... And if you count Jell-o salad you can even make a dessert of a salad.  Here are a few of my favorite salads that get far more Ooohs and Aaahs than that simple chopped head of lettuce.

Links include Potato Salads, Cole Slaws, and Plenty of greens and fixins' Salads... And more than a few matching FRESH MADE Jam Jar make it yourself Salad Dressings!
    ******************************************************

    This recipe has been added to my growing list of "52 Church PotLuck Dishes"!

    A list of something NEW worthy of being shown off at a neighborhood BYODish (Bring Your Own Dish) Party, a Family special occasion dinner, Any Big Holiday Gathering or of course that glorious day when you bring a dish to share with your Church family...

    Ages ago, literally almost a half century ago I was listening to our pastor talking about a PotLuck Dinner. It happened to be scheduled around a church work day when we were expected to weed, polish and do general cleaning and maintenance around the church (you know, back in the day when there were no no-wax floors and church pews smelled of Old English furniture polish). I am of course paraphrasing, but as I recall the pastor said,

    "A potluck, like a church requires work. At a potluck everyone is expected to contribute.. At a church no one should come empty handed and no one should leave unfed".
    I will confess that in my youth I brought more store bought plastic spoons and forks than I ever brought covered dishes and crock pots of fresh made love and caring delights. But now that I have become a hobbyist cook, I occasionally am reminded of those days and people from my youth. I reminded and I do wish that I could drop a dish of some new creation on those old tables at my fondly remembered Liberty Baptist Church.  Tables covered with newspapers and loaded with God's bounty prepared with love and caring... Enjoy

    ***********************PINTEREST*********************

    Come and find me on Pinterest... Any of my "52 Ways to cook" Boards are worth following.  If you like this post, please take a second and "Pin" this to your own boards... Better yet, if you are part of a foodie group board please take a second and add this post to your group pins... best way to show your Love!

    And BTW, if you are not yet part of a group board, drop me an email at Contact@eRecipeCards.com and request to be added to my group board... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! (be sure to include your pinterest ID when you write)  Once you are added, any pins you add will be seen by 10s of THOUSANDS of followers of the board (and growing daily).

    Rules, only 2... 
    1. In order to join you need to start following the group board as well as at least one of my boards.
    2. And you must ONLY pin original sources, posts from food related bloggers only.  If you are a blogger, this is a great way to have thousands of potential readers see your work,  If you are a fan of bloggers, a great way to share your favorites...
      Come and be a part of ... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! on Pinterest

3 comments:

  1. It is sooo much better if you put the almonds and toasted noodles on each serving just before eating. The crunch is the key. Spicy chicken is my fav ramen for this dish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good. I'm going to try it for our picnic this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did lilke Janice did except I cooked up some Bacon (Crispy) and I sprinkle over top of the salad for each salad plate !!! Thanks Janice for the tip and the other reason why I sprinkle the Bacon on top is because it gets kinda wet and I do not like wet Bacon !!! Also Thanks 52ways for the Recipe, HomeMade/Semi Cooking auntbea (From NorthEast,Maryland)

    ReplyDelete

FMP