Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Grilling Time - Grilled Pineapple Jerk Chicken Thighs

Pin It Now!

A long time ago (well, three years ago anyway), I was lucky enough to spend six months in St Thomas, one of the US Virgin Islands.  That's me kissing my wife on the ass This particular ass hangs out at a scenic overlook.  I did a blogger thing and posted a photo or story a day while I was there... makes interesting reading (at least to me).

Well, there were lots of things I loved about my island time.  This recipe is one of my fondest memories.  There is a restaurant called WICKED very close to where the cruise ships let the tourists disembark.  It has a great view and for a glorified island bar, a pretty good menu.  For me, I always had their chicken wings.  First, a great bargain (something VERY rare on the island, especially near the cruise ships).  They were 75 cents each.  But even better, they are simply addictive how good these are.  Little hints of sweet from the pineapple to the island heat of a Jamaican jerk spice.  One bite and I am back on the island for just a bit...

 My cooking method is a bit unique, especially over a grill.  BUT, it practically guarantees moist tender chicken every time.  If you have ever been to a backyard BBQ and had the tough, dry as sand over cooked chicken you will appreciate this tip...

Muffin Tin!

Yep, look close, I line the muffin tin with aluminum foil (just to make it easier to clean).

 And I use this to aid in indirect grilling.  Your grill becomes a convection oven, with the hot air circulating around the muffin tin, heating (and beautifully browning) from the top, while the juices and rendered fat pools in the bottom of each muffin space and then simmers and steams from the bottom.  Best cooking method ever for chicken!

And once you start adding the sauce, that flavors the steam, again adding another layer of flavor to the chicken.

This method is easy, cooks fast, makes your chicken come out perfectly cooked every time and versatile.  I have already done posts with the chicken seasoned with Curry and a wonderful Orange Ginger Chicken!


OK... Here's What I did...


Grilling Time - Grilled Pineapple Jerk Chicken Thighs

Ingredients
  • 1/4 Cup Jerk Chicken Spice Mix (Commercially available)
  • 1 Cup Pineapple Chunks with juice (I used a fresh pineapple, canned works as well)
  • 8 Chicken Thighs
  • Salt and Pepper a pinch each
Cooking Directions
  1. Pre-heat the grill
  2. First, make the glaze sauce... In a blender, combine the Pineapple with juice and the Jerk Spice.
  3. Arrange the thigh suspended over a muffin pan.
  4. Brush and pour the half portion of sauce evenly distributed among the 8 thighs.
  5. Season with Salt and Pepper
  6. Move to the grill. You will be using the grill as an oven. Put the muffin tins over a medium hot heat and close the lid. You will cook until the internal temperature at the thickest part of the thigh reaches 165 degrees. This should take about 20-25 minutes. The skin will take on a crispy golden caramelized appearance.
  7. Brush with remaining sauce and close the lid for the sauce to heat... just for an additional 2 minutes.
  8. Do not over cook, that dries out the meat.
  9. Remove from the heat and allow to rest for about 5 minutes before serving.
  10. Serve HOT and Enjoy!

Makes a beautiful, wonderfully tasty meal when paired with GRILLED Tomatoes and Snow Peas and a bowl of leftover Whipped Potatoes.

*************************************************************************

So,  I am pleased to list this as one of my Growing list of  "52 Grilling Time Secret Extras" or "52 Ways to Cook BBQ and Grilling Recipes"!!!

Well over 52 recipes actually as I just can't stop... Over 100 in one grilling season (I love to grill!). But not just leat... Drinks, Condiments (LOTS of different BBQ sauces), Drinks, Desserts... even specialty items like GRILLED Pizza, and fun shaped Watermelons.  Easy and these ideas will make you the MASTER of your Backyard Domain!

****************************PINTEREST**************************

Come and find me on Pinterest... Any of my "52 Ways to cook" Boards are worth following.  If you like this post, please take a second and "Pin" this to your own boards... Better yet, if you are part of a foodie group board please take a second and add this post to your group pins... best way to show your Love!

And BTW, if you are not yet part of a group board, drop me an email at Contact@eRecipeCards.com and request to be added to my group board... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! (be sure to include your pinterest ID when you write)  Once you are added, any pins you add will be seen by 10s of THOUSANDS of followers of the board (and growing daily).

Rules, only 2... 
  1. In order to join you need to start following the group board as well as at least one of my boards.
  2. And you must ONLY pin original sources, posts from food related bloggers only.  If you are a blogger, this is a great way to have thousands of potential readers see your work,  If you are a fan of bloggers, a great way to share your favorites...
    Come and be a part of ... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! on Pinterest

2 comments:

  1. You chicken looks competition caliber. Are you a Myron Mixon disciple? I believe he started the muffin pan use on the pro circuit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lookin Good, I am going to have to try this...

    ReplyDelete

FMP