But not just any Tuna Casserole, this is another in my series of recipes showing off the glory days of yesteryear when Grandma's Casseroles ruled the Church Potluck Suppers!
And this one did indeed rule. It is a take on the classic Tuna Casserole you might have found on the back of a can of Cream of Mushroom Soup. But my Granny added little extras... Like the nutty flavor of some Parmesan Cheese. She loved adding peas to about any casserole, but the peas in this made the dish look pretty, be a little healthy and taste better.
The crunchy topping and pasta make for a fun mix that always pleases... Way to go Granny!
Keep scrolling down for the easy to follow recipe.
But first, a word about Granny's wish list. Here's a few items that would have really made her life easier casserole-wise and glow at the Church basement!
Keep scrolling down for this easy to follow recipe....
Tuna Pasta Casserole
Tuna Pasta Casserole
- 1 Box Elbow Macaroni, prepared according to box directions, except boil 2 minutes less than suggested
- 3 Cans Albacore Tuna in Water, squeezed dry
- 1 Can Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 Cup Whole Milk
- 1 Small bag Frozen Peas, thawed under running HOT water
- 1/2 Onion, Minced
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 2 tsp Ground Pepper
- 1/2 Cup Freshly grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Panko Bread Crumbs
- 2 TBS Butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Prepare pasta according to directions on the box EXCEPT, boil 2 minutes less than suggested, drain
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the Tuna, Soup, Milk, Peas, Onion, Parmesan, Salt and Pepper. Stir in the cooked pasta and stir to evenly mix
- Spray a large 9X13 casserole dish with non-stick spray, transfer the tuna/pasta mix to the casserole dish.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- While the casserole is baking, in a small saute pan, melt the butter and add the Panko Bread Crumbs to the melted butter,. Saute for a couple of minutes, stirring constantly.
- After 25 minutes, remove casserole from the oven, sprinkle the buttered bread crumbs evenly on the top. Return to the oven and bake for another 5 minutes until the crumbs just start to brown.
- Serve warm and ENJOY!