Saturday, September 14, 2013

Sweet Root Beer Baked Beans in A Crock Pot - Church PotLuck Side Dish

Pin It Now!

"Best I've ever had", Quote from one of my regular BBQ guests.

This was a big departure for me.  I am pretty well known for my Smoked Beans around this little corner of the Cul de Sac.  I have a favorite recipe that I use whenever I am smoking Ribs, Pulled Pork or Brisket.  The extra very wet ingredients helps add moisture to the kettle as I smoke.  But for my Labor Day BBQ I was after a sweeter bean dish than what I normally serve. I was entertaining families with kids and their parents that were not always fans of spicy BBQ food.

I have been wanting to try this recipe for a long time.  The big sweetener is a bottle of Root Beer.  As the soda simmers and reduces, the thick syrup that remains did a spectacular job of adding just the right amount of sweetness to the pot.

I must confess that I did indeed enjoy these, I prefer my standard Smoked Pork and Beans simmered in Beer (real, not root).  But I do add an awful lot of extra spices to that pot that are somewhat intimidating for people not fans of BBQ (really, there are a few).  And especially if I were serving to a bunch of children, this is now my goto recipe.

Made easy in a crock pot with only an occasional stir, this comes together in only a few minutes.  Since I made it in the slow cooker, it is easy to transport to any Church PotLuck, family gathering, or friends homes for a get together.

Oh and the kids at the BBQ loved the idea of eating Root Beer (be sure to have an extra couple of bottles on ice for the kids).


OK... Here's what I did...


Root Beer Baked Beans in A Crock Pot


Ingredients
  • 1 Can Bushes Brand Homestyle Baked Beans
  • 1 Can Bushes Brand Chili Beans
  • 1 Can Bushes Brand Great Northern Beans
  • 1 Large Vidalia Sweet Onion, Sliced and diced
  • 1/4 Cup White Vinegar
  • 1/3 Cup Molasses
  • 1/2 Cup BBQ Sauce (I used some of my homemade Root Beer BBQ Sauce, but use what your favorite)
  • 2 TBS Dry Mustard Spice
  • 2 TBS Cajun Spices (store bought premixed or make your own)
  • 1/3 Cup Brown Sugar
  • 1 (12 Oz) Bottle Root Beer (NOT Diet)
  • 1 Pound Thick Slice Bacon, diced and cooked to crispy
  • Chopped Green onions and Parsley For Garnish
  • 1 small can of Tomato Paste if needed to thicken
Cooking Directions
  1. In a large Crock Pot slow cooker, combine all the ingredients except the bacon and garnishes. Stir to combine.
  2. Set on low and slow simmer covered for 8 hours, stirring occasionally.
  3. Check thickness after 8 hours. The "gravy" should be thickened and coating the beans. If not, set on high, uncover and add a small can of tomato paste. Simmer on high until the gravy thickens.
  4. Just before serving, stir in the chopped bacon, saving a few pieces to add as a garnish and finally, just before serving, top with the greens.
  5. Serve Hot and ENJOY!

******************************************************

This recipe has been added to my growing list of "52 Church PotLuck Dishes"!

A list of something NEW worthy of being shown off at a neighborhood BYODish (Bring Your Own Dish) Party, a Family special occasion dinner, Any Big Holiday Gathering or of course that glorious day when you bring a dish to share with your Church family...

Ages ago, literally almost a half century ago I was listening to our pastor talking about a PotLuck Dinner. It happened to be scheduled around a church work day when we were expected to weed, polish and do general cleaning and maintenance around the church (you know, back in the day when there were no no-wax floors and church pews smelled of Old English furniture polish). I am of course paraphrasing, but as I recall the pastor said,

"A potluck, like a church requires work. At a potluck everyone is expected to contribute.. At a church no one should come empty handed and no one should leave unfed".
I will confess that in my youth I brought more store bought plastic spoons and forks than I ever brought covered dishes and crock pots of fresh made love and caring delights. But now that I have become a hobbyist cook, I occasionally am reminded of those days and people from my youth. I reminded and I do wish that I could drop a dish of some new creation on those old tables at my fondly remembered Liberty Baptist Church.  Tables covered with newspapers and loaded with God's bounty prepared with love and caring... Enjoy

*************************************************************************

So,  I am pleased to list this as one of my Growing list of  "52 Grilling Time Secret Extras" or "52 Ways to Cook BBQ and Grilling Recipes"!!!

Well over 52 recipes actually as I just can't stop... Over 100 in one grilling season (I love to grill!). But not just leat... Drinks, Condiments (LOTS of different BBQ sauces), Drinks, Desserts... even specialty items like GRILLED Pizza, and fun shaped Watermelons.  Easy and these ideas will make you the MASTER of your Backyard Domain!

*************************************************************************

So,  I am pleased to list this as one of my Growing list of  "52 Ways to Cook Side Dish Recipes"!!!

Sure the meat gets all the glory but real cooks know it's the spread... the specialty Side Dishes that makes a meal rise or fall. Here's a few of my favorite recipes that will help to create that illusive COMPLETE MENU!

LOTS of Potato Sides, Vegetable Sides, Specialty Salads, Bread and MORE!

****************************PINTEREST**************************

Come and find me on Pinterest... Any of my "52 Ways to cook" Boards are worth following.  If you like this post, please take a second and "Pin" this to your own boards... Better yet, if you are part of a foodie group board please take a second and add this post to your group pins... best way to show your Love!

And BTW, if you are not yet part of a group board, drop me an email at Contact@eRecipeCards.com and request to be added to my group board... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! (be sure to include your pinterest ID when you write)  Once you are added, any pins you add will be seen by 10s of THOUSANDS of followers of the board (and growing daily).

Rules, only 2... 
  1. In order to join you need to start following the group board as well as at least one of my boards.
  2. And you must ONLY pin original sources, posts from food related bloggers only.  If you are a blogger, this is a great way to have thousands of potential readers see your work,  If you are a fan of bloggers, a great way to share your favorites...
    Come and be a part of ... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! on Pinterest

1 comment:

  1. These look so good! I also prefer a very smoky spicy baked bean dish, but needed something sweeter that kids will eat for my dinner guests tomorrow.
    I do have a question, however. It looks like Bush's baked beans come in both a standard 15oz size and a larger 28oz size. Which of these sizes am I supposed to get for each of the cans? Also, the only great northern beans I saw in the Bush's brand were chili beans with great norther beans. Are they meant to be chili beans, or are they supposed to be plain great northern beans? Thank you so much! I am looking forward to trying this recipe out.

    ReplyDelete

FMP