Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Grilled Spicy Mangoes - Grilling Time Side Dish

Pin It Now!

I made these on the grill... You can easily do this with a broiler setting in your home kitchen oven...


But first a story... On so many levels I am a lucky man.  One of the luckiest times of my life were the 6 months that I was able to spend on a tropical island, St Thomas in the US Virgin Islands.  That's the short version of the story, the long version I did a One photo a Day blog of my adventures showing lots of daily island living that you can find at... Daily Photos in St Thomas.  Hint, the first post is my last, so try to find the first day and proceed so you see the story in order).

Actually, That's the set up to the story... here's the story... I failed at Mangoes while on the island.  I just never could get the hang of taking a knife and slicing around the pit and getting those beautiful even halves with lots of meat that I saw natives doing with ease.  I always tried and I always left more in the garbage than I served. Instead of a beautiful piece of sliced fruit it looked like I was mad at the mango.

The utterly AMAZING Mango SLicer.  Now, I am not someone who enjoys the junk drawer.  That horrible drawer full of single use kitchen utensils.  More often than not they do not work as advertised and after the initial rush to enjoy, you rarely if ever use them.

This is the exception.

It works perfectly.  the slices are uniform, the meat of the mango stays intact and it is impossibly easy to use.  Very little of the meat of the mang is wasted and it just works!

BTW... Follow the link above to Amazon and they will ship FREE with any order over $25... What a Deal!!!

Oh how I wish I had one of these in St Thomas... End of story.

Once you have your mango sliced, this dish is about as easy as possible.  The diamond pattern is easy (Just slice straight lines at right angles without slicing through the skin).  The spice is just three ingredients and the grilling time is FAST, easily can be done while you are "resting" meat just prior to serving.

Mangoes are a bit out of the ordinary, these come out beautiful (with the pushed out diamond pattern), deliciously heated to enhance the natural sugars and sweetness of the mango and nicely spiced with a little Lime, a little Salt and just a tiny amount of Hot pepper Spice to balance the natural sugars.


OK... Here's what I did...


Grilled Mango


Ingredients
  • 4 medium slightly soft Mangoes, Sliced in half around the pit, skin left on
  • Drizzle of Olive Oil on Each
  • 2 TBS Coarse Grind Sea Salt
  • 2 TBS Lime Zest
  • 1 tsp Dried Chipotle Spice
Cooking Directions
  1. Prepare your grill for direct high heat.
  2. Using a Mango Slicer, or carefully with your sharpest knife, cut each mango in half around the pit, leaving the skin on.
  3. Carefully without slicing through the skin cut a diamond pattern in the meat of the mango.
  4. Push from the skin side in the middle until the diamond pattern pushes out, increasing the surface area of the mango.
  5. Drizzle Olive Oil over the meat side of the mango
  6. Divide the spice mix in half. Using one half, sprinkle a pinch of the mix on each mango
  7. Grill skin side down over direct heat for 3 minutes
  8. Flip to Meat side down and grill for only 2-3 minutes just until the meat gets a slight char, remove from grill and arrange on a platter
  9. Another light drizzle of Olive Oil, a sprinkle of the remaining spice
  10. Serve Hot off the grill and ENJOY!!!

*************************************************************************

So,  I am pleased to list this as one of my Growing list of  "52 Grilling Time Secret Extras" or "52 Ways to Cook BBQ and Grilling Recipes"!!!

Well over 52 recipes actually as I just can't stop... Over 100 in one grilling season (I love to grill!). But not just leat... Drinks, Condiments (LOTS of different BBQ sauces), Drinks, Desserts... even specialty items like GRILLED Pizza, and fun shaped Watermelons.  Easy and these ideas will make you the MASTER of your Backyard Domain!

****************************PINTEREST**************************

Come and find me on Pinterest... Any of my "52 Ways to cook" Boards are worth following.  If you like this post, please take a second and "Pin" this to your own boards... Better yet, if you are part of a foodie group board please take a second and add this post to your group pins... best way to show your Love!

And BTW, if you are not yet part of a group board, drop me an email at Contact@eRecipeCards.com and request to be added to my group board... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! (be sure to include your pinterest ID when you write)  Once you are added, any pins you add will be seen by 10s of THOUSANDS of followers of the board (and growing daily).

Rules, only 2... 
  1. In order to join you need to start following the group board as well as at least one of my boards.
  2. And you must ONLY pin original sources, posts from food related bloggers only.  If you are a blogger, this is a great way to have thousands of potential readers see your work,  If you are a fan of bloggers, a great way to share your favorites...
    Come and be a part of ... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment

FMP