Monday, July 8, 2013

Black Bean and Quinoa Salad - Grilling Time Side Dish

Pin It Now!

"The way to a Woman's Heart is an unexpected Gift at an Unexpected time"...

Funny the quotes that stay with you.  I just could not get this quote out of my mind when deciding how to write this up.  But this was the dish that was the easy unexpected way to my guest's hearts at a recent back yard BBQ.  I have been known in the past to load up a BBQ with heavy, sweet, Carb loaded side dishes. My Beans are second to none (well, in my mind at least).  My Potato Salads are nearing legendary status around the Cul de Sac.  Certainly delicious, but also not necessarily healthy low-cal dishes.

For a change of pace I decided I was going to try healthy.

This is an adaptation of a Bobby Flay recipe.  I made several changes but the basic idea of a Quinoa (the latest HOT Super food), Corn and grilled onions is still the same.  I added a little extra sweet (honey... still natural and healthy) and some lime zest and a bit more seasoning.

Came out DELICIOUS!  I had plans for a cup of leftovers to use for another recipe and barely pulled the dish from the table before it was emptied.  Most unexpected and most delicious!


OK... Here's What I did...


Black Bean and
Quinoa Salad


Ingredients
  • 1/2 Cup Quinoa
  • 8 Green Oniona
  • 2 TBS Olive Oil
  • 2 Cans Sweet Corn
  • 1 Can Black Beans, Drained and Rinsed
  • 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
  • Zest of 1 Lime
  • Juice of 1 Lime
  • 2 TBS Honey
  • 3 TBS Chopped Fresh Oregano (can use Dried Herbs)
  • Salt and Pepper To taste
Cooking Directions
  1. Bring 1 cup water to a boil in a small pot over medium heat. Add a pinch of Salt and Pepper
  2. Stir in the quinoa. Cover and cook until the quinoa is tender and the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
  3. Remove from the heat and let sit covered. Fluff the quinoa with a fork and transfer to a large bowl.
  4. Heat the grill to high for direct grilling. Brush the green onions with the canola oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill the onions until soft and slightly charred, about 2 minutes each side. Remove the onions from the grill and coarsely chop.
  5. Mix the corn, beans, olive oil, Honey and lime juice in a bowl. Add the quinoa and chopped green onions.
  6. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
  7. Keep the Salad at room temperature for at least 30 minutes before serving to allow the flavors to meld. Stir in the cilantro and oregano.
  8. Serve Room temperature and ENJOY!

*************************************************************************

So,  I am pleased to list this as one of my Growing list of  "52 Grilling Time Secret Extras" or "52 Ways to Cook BBQ and Grilling Recipes"!!!

Well over 52 recipes actually as I just can't stop... Over 100 in one grilling season (I love to grill!). But not just leat... Drinks, Condiments (LOTS of different BBQ sauces), Drinks, Desserts... even specialty items like GRILLED Pizza, and fun shaped Watermelons.  Easy and these ideas will make you the MASTER of your Backyard Domain!

*************************************************************************

So,  I am pleased to list this as one of my Growing list of  "52 Ways to Cook Side Dish Recipes"!!!

Sure the meat gets all the glory but real cooks know it's the spread... the specialty Side Dishes that makes a meal rise or fall. Here's a few of my favorite recipes that will help to create that illusive COMPLETE MENU!

LOTS of Potato Sides, Vegetable Sides, Specialty Salads, Bread and MORE!

*************************************************************************

So,  I am pleased to list this as one of my Growing list of  "52 Specialty Salad Recipes"!!!

Sometimes they are the main course, sometimes a lunch and sometimes they are the side dish... And if you count Jell-o salad you can even make a dessert of a salad.  Here are a few of my favorite salads that get far more Ooohs and Aaahs than that simple chopped head of lettuce.

Links include Potato Salads, Cole Slaws, and Plenty of greens and fixins' Salads... And more than a few matching FRESH MADE Jam Jar make it yourself Salad Dressings!

****************************PINTEREST**************************

Come and find me on Pinterest... Any of my "52 Ways to cook" Boards are worth following.  If you like this post, please take a second and "Pin" this to your own boards... Better yet, if you are part of a foodie group board please take a second and add this post to your group pins... best way to show your Love!

And BTW, if you are not yet part of a group board, drop me an email at Contact@eRecipeCards.com and request to be added to my group board... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! (be sure to include your pinterest ID when you write)  Once you are added, any pins you add will be seen by 10s of THOUSANDS of followers of the board (and growing daily).

Rules, only 2... 
  1. In order to join you need to start following the group board as well as at least one of my boards.
  2. And you must ONLY pin original sources, posts from food related bloggers only.  If you are a blogger, this is a great way to have thousands of potential readers see your work,  If you are a fan of bloggers, a great way to share your favorites...
    Come and be a part of ... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment

FMP