When I am in an indulgent mood, this is my very favorite way to prepare Sweet Potatoes. There is a cup of heavy cream, as well as a cup of Parmesan Cheese in the sauce, so it is an indulgence... Oh, but my how tasty.
I prefer to make these for breakfast, so I add a few eggs at the end to poach/bake in the garlic/cheese sauce. But if I baked this without the eggs, it makes a WONDERFUL way to serve up Sweet Potatoes for a special occasion (Thanksgiving, Christmas dinners).
Creamy, Cheesy, Garlicky... This is the dish that sends people back for seconds.
Sweet Potato Gratin Breakfast
- Feeds 4 For Breakfast (8 as a side dish without the eggs)
- 3 Medium Sweet Potatoes, peeled, cut into thin slices
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 4 Cloves Garlic, smashed into a paste
- 1 Medium Green Bell Pepper, Cored, seeded, diced
- 1 Cup Half and Half
- 4 Large Eggs (Optional)
- 4 TBS Gruyere Cheese, shredded
- Prepare a shallow casserole pan with non stick spray, pre-heat oven to 375 degrees
- In a heavy bottomed sauce pan, heat the heavy cream over medium high heat for about 5 minutes.
- Once hot, add the Cheese and garlic and stir to combine until the cheese has melted into the sauce.
- Add the Green Pepper and Half and Half and stir. Continue to heat until the sauce begins to thicken and simmer (about another 5 minutes)
- While you are waiting for the sauce to thicken, add a layer of sweet potato slices on the bottom of the shallow wide casserole dish. Once the sauce has thickened, pour 1/3rd over the first payer of potatoes.
- Add another layer of potatoes over this and add another 1/3rd of the sauce.
- If you are making breakfast, add a final layer of potatoes just around the edges so that you will make a pool of sauce in the center to oven poach the eggs. If you are making a side dish, complete the layer all around.
- Pour the final 1/3rd of the sauce over the final layer of potatoes. If you are going to top with eggs, pour over the potatoes only, don;t worry, as this cooks the sauce will pool in the center where you left out the final layer of potatoes.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 20 minutes uncovered
- Bake another 20 minutes, but this time, cover with a tent of aluminum foil.
- After 40 minutes total, remove the aluminum foil, add the eggs in the center pool of sauce. Garnish with the Gruyere Cheese, a little in the center and the rest around the edges.
- Return to the oven and bake another 10 minutes.
- Serve HOT and Enjoy!!!
This will make a memorable breakfast. Sure it is a bit indulgent with all the cream and cheese, but honestly you will compare all other Sweet potato recipes to this one. FANTASTIC!
As a side dish, as pictured to the right, it is going to be a highlight on any holiday table. No offense to Grandma, but this beats the mini marshmallows by a mile!
I am starting early making my Thanksgiving plans... This is a must serve for me. What's on your Holiday table that should be a modern classic???
It's the most important meal of the day. From fancy to simple, there are always ways to dress up a breakfast dish. These are the meals that make Bed and Breakfast Inns legendary (and usually easier than you think).
Here's your chance to make your guests Ooh and Aah!
Pinterest... Any of my "52 Ways to cook" Boards are worth following. If you like this post, please take a second and "Pin" this to your own boards... Better yet, if you are part of a foodie group board please take a second and add this post to your group pins... best way to show your Love!
And BTW, if you are not yet part of a group board, drop me an email at Contact@eRecipeCards.com and request to be added to my group board... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! (be sure to include your pinterest ID when you write) Once you are added, any pins you add will be seen by 10s of THOUSANDS of followers of the board (and growing daily).
Rules, only 2...
- In order to join you need to start following the group board as well as at least one of my boards.
- And you must ONLY pin original sources, posts from food related bloggers only. If you are a blogger, this is a great way to have thousands of potential readers see your work, If you are a fan of bloggers, a great way to share your favorites...
Come and be a part of ... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! on Pinterest
Post a Comment