But not just any cake, this is the legendary star of any 1950's housewife's afternoon tea, After all, 1950;s TV Sit-Coms inspired an entire generation of women.
But, more than the shape, this Bundt is also deliciously filled with citrus flavors.
I made this for an after church social hour. The ladies of the church were very complimentary. This is a very grown up cake. Not too sweet yet loaded with flavors. It's not a cake for kids, but with the right group, this will be the hot of the party!
Keep scrolling down for this easy to follow recipe and of course...
Italian Lemon Pound Cake
- 3 Cups Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- Large Pinch of Salt
- 1 Cup Butter, softened to room temperature.
- 2 Cups Sugar
- 3 Large Eggs
- 1/2 Cup Buttermilk
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
- Juice and Zest of 1 Lemon
Additional Zest of 2 more Lemons
Note: Save these 2 Lemons, you will need to juice them for the Glaze
- 1 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- FOR THE LEMON GLAZE
4 OZ Cream Cheese, softened to room temperature
- Zest of 1 Lemon
Juice from 3 Lemons
- 2 Cups Powdered Sugar
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- In a Large mixing bowl, sift together the dry ingredients; Flour, Baking Powder, Salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the Butter and the sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. With the mixer running, add the eggs one at a time. Add the Lemon Juice and the Lemon Zest to the mixer as well as the ground ginger. And finally, still with the mixer running, add the Sour Cream and the buttermilk.
- Fold the Wet ingredients into the dry. Use a folding motion, digging to the bottom and fold the bottom mix to the top. Repeat folding until the dry ingredients have fully incorporated. Do not over mix or your cake will be very dense.
- Pour the cake batter into a bundt pan that has been generously sprayed with baking spray.
- Bake for 80 minutes until the cake has fully baked and a toothpick can be inserted deep into the middle of the cake but still comes out clean. Any bit of wet on the toothpick, return to oven and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Check again, repeat as needed.
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Turn the cake over on a cake platter or, I like to serve cakes on a cutting board for presentation.
- While the cake is cooling, make the glaze... Mix the all the ingredients (Cream Cheese Lemon Zest, Lemon Juice and Powdered Sugar) together until smooth and creamy.
- Drizzle this over the Cake while still warm. Let the cake cool to room temperature.
- Serve Room Temp and ENJOY!