But not just any corn fritters, these are LOADED with plenty of extras.
Corn, Cheddar and Jalapeno Peppers of course, but the seasoning I like to use is the classic OLD BAY Crab seasoning. In the past I have used a Taco spice mix (worked great), a Cajun mix (worked great) and even just plain Salt and Pepper (Also worked great). But the unique flavor profile of Old bay just hits the spot!
I always seem to make these whenever I am frying fish.. I have the oil going already, why not plop in some cornbread.
While the ingredient list is a bit long for a cornbread, most of what is there are pantry ingredients. Frozen corn, Jiffy Mix Box, even the cheese, peppers and sour cream are pretty much items I either keep in stock or buy fresh weekly.
This recipe is a WINNER!
Cowboy Jalapeno Cheddar Corn Muffins
- 1 Box Jiffy Mix Cornbread
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
- 1 Large Egg
- 2 Jalapeno Peppers, Seeds and inner white membrane (the really Hot Spiced parts) removed, chopped to a fine mince
- 1 Cup Frozen Corn kernels, thawed under hot water for a few minutes.
- 1 Cup Cheddar Cheese
- 1 TBS Old Bay Seasoning mix
- Canola Oil for frying. Enough to cover the bottom of the pan, only about 1/2 inch
- Heat oil in a large heavy bottomed frying pan, Cast Iron works great. Oil needs to splatter when a drop or two of water is added. But not too violent of a splatter,
- Combine the cornbread mix with the sour cream and egg.
- Add Jalapeno, Corn, Cheddar and the Old Bay Spice mix. Stir to combine.
- Drop 1 rounded TBS of the mix into the oil and Fry until golden brown on each side for 3-4 minutes. Drain on paper towels to absorb excess oil.
- Serve warm and ENJOY!