BUT... Amazingly enough this is very easy to make. Especially made easy in a bread machine that does all of the mixing, kneading and proofing (first rise). Truly one of the best presentations possible considering the ease of DIYing.
Follow th recipe, remove from the machine, divide into 4 balls, braid three and use the fourth to encircle the base and bake... Easy peasy.
Keep scrolling, after the recipe I added a couple of photo essay instructions that make this a never fail glorious addition to any Holiday Table or special occasion or occasion you just want to feel special...
ENJOY indeed and happy holidays!
Keep scrolling down, easy to follow recipe below.
Challa Bread from a Bread Machine
- 3/4 Cup Warm Water (between 105 and 115 degrees)
- 3 Cups White Bread Flour
- 3 TBS Sugar
- Large Pinch Sea Salt
- 1/4 Cup (Half a Stick) Butter, cut into 8 pieces
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 Large Egg Yolk Only
- 1 TBS Poppy Seeds
- 1 Package Instant Bread Machine Yeast
- Follow the set up directions for your Bread Machine. Add the ingredients (in order) to the bowl of the machine.
- Set machine to the DOUGH SETTING and allow the machine to perform the mix, knead and first rise steps of bread making.
- When the machine has finished it;s cycle (usually 1 hour and 20 minutes to an hour and a half) and the bread has risen to the top of the lid (maybe an additional 15 minutes), remove the dough. Form into a ball and divide into four equal size balls.
- Take three of the balls and form three equal size ropes about a foot and a half long.
- Press one end of each rope together (one on top of the other). Braid tightly like you would a little girl's hair.
- Take the 4th ball and form a LOOOOONG rope about 2 and a half foot long.form a horseshoe shape with long feet.
- Transfer the braid section on top of the long footed horseshoe. Tuck all of the ends under to form even looking balls on top of a rope.
- Brush the top of the loaf with melted butter or Olive Oil (optional but will make your bread glow!).
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees, cover the bread with a damp (but not wet) tea towel and allow a second rise for 30 minutes.
- Bake uncovered for 22 minutes until the crust is golden brown and delicious looking.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve warm with some fresh Pineapple jam (or Butter) and ENJOY!