One of the very special aspects of this pie is the sweet and salty PRETZEL CRUST. A combination of Pretzels, sugar and vanilla wafers (The recipe is below the recipe for the pie filling... just keep scrolling. But if you double click the blue letters you will find a full blog post with hints, tips and LOTS of photos to help guarantee success).
I love the dramatic presentation of a MILE HIGH CAKE. The custard is soft set before you pour into the pie crust. This way you can mound everything into the center creating a little hill top of filling. You can get really nuts if you like and increase the recipe by 50% and create a Himalayan Mountain High Pie. It will work and your friends, family and guests will Oooh and Aaah your efforts!
The flavor is loaded with coconut, sweet creamy texture. Everything you could want in a custard pie. This particular pie is made easy with a Vanilla Pudding (instant) as the base, no extra cooking to thicken a custard. A softened brick of cream cheese adds a creamy smoothness.
Easily decorated and add a little additional lightly toasted coconut for beauty and you have a real Holiday treat worthy of Christmas but easy enough for any day of the year...
Enjoy and Merry Christmas!
Creamiest Mile High
COCONUT CREAM PIE (and Easiest)
- 1-1/2 Cup Half and Half
- 1 tsp Coconut Extract
- 1 Package Instant Vanilla Pudding
- 1 Brick (8 Ounces) Cream Cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1 Cup Sweet Flaked Coconut (Divided)
- 1 Container (8 Ounces) Frozen Whipped Topping (Thawed)
- 1 Sweet/Salty Pretzel Crust (see Recipe Below)
- 1/2 Cup Whipped Cream (Whipped stiff, put in a piping bag)
- remaining 1/2 Cup Coconut, Toasted
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together the Half and Half and Cream Cheese. Whisk until creamy. add the, Coconut Extract, and pudding. Continue to whisk on low for 2 minutes. Let Stand for 2 more minutes until it is mostly set.
- Slowly carefully fold in 1/2 cup of the coconut and the whipped topping until fully incorporated.
- Spoon the pudding mix into the pre baked Salty sweet pretzel pie shell creating a mound in the center..
- Chill for a couple of hours.
- Make the whipped cream, (Hint, add a couple TBS of Confectioner's Sugar for extra sweetness and just a small drizzle (maybe 1 tsp) of white corn syrup for added stability), whisking until stiff peaks form. Put into a piping bag with a star tip and decorate the pie.
- Take the remaining coconut and toast in an oven under the broil setting for about 3 minutes until just toasty brown colored (Watch so the coconut does not burn).
- Sprinkle the toasted coconut on top... Serve Chilled and ENJOY!
Pretzel Crust for a Sweet and Salty Pie
- 1 Cup Crushed Pretzels
- 1 Cup Crushed Vanilla Wafers
- 1 Cup Melted Butter
- Something Salty (like ground up Pretzels, put them in a zip lock bag, use a rolling pin (or in this case I used a Mason Jar filled with Coco (couldn't find a rolling pin... long story))
- added to something Sweet (like ground up Vanilla Wafers)
- Break up any larger pieces
- Mix in melted butter to help form a solid crust
- Press everything into a crust form
- Bake... It's called Blind Baking to bake a pie crust and then add a filling (Like a Banana Cream Pie)... Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes
- Then fill, chill and serve.
- And of course... Enjoy!!!
These are the desserts you make for your family. No fancy amazing wedding cakes, just the rustic beauty of the classics. From pumpkin pie to cheesecakes to layer cakes, these are what your family craves for dessert. You may even see a few unusual crusts and frosting ideas to try.
You get the idea. These recipes are simple, delicious and will have your family wanting dessert first...
Pinterest... Any of my "52 Ways to cook" Boards are worth following. If you like this post, please take a second and "Pin" this to your own boards... Better yet, if you are part of a foodie group board please take a second and add this post to your group pins... best way to show your Love!
And BTW, if you are not yet part of a group board, drop me an email at Contact@eRecipeCards.com and request to be added to my group board... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! (be sure to include your pinterest ID when you write) Once you are added, any pins you add will be seen by 10s of THOUSANDS of followers of the board (and growing daily).
Rules, only 2...
- In order to join you need to start following the group board as well as at least one of my boards.
- And you must ONLY pin original sources, posts from food related bloggers only. If you are a blogger, this is a great way to have thousands of potential readers see your work, If you are a fan of bloggers, a great way to share your favorites...
Come and be a part of ... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! on Pinterest
Post a Comment