This dessert has so much inside you can almost pretend it is healthy (well, until you taste the frosting, but the cake sure is loaded with Caribbean fruits and flavors).
The usual Carrot Cake ingredients... Carrots, walnuts and cake are complimented with banana, coconut and pineapple and then sweetened with an amazing cream cheese/butter pineapple flavored frosting topped with more chunks of pineapple and made pretty with some orange zest!
Since it is served chilled it is a wonderful dessert to serve at an outdoor BBQ party.
LOADED Caribbean CARROT CAKE
- 1-1/2 Cups Flour
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 3/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1-1/2 Cups grated Carrots
- 1 Cup Chopped Walnuts
- 1 Ripe Banana, mashed
- 1 Cup Canned Crushed Pineapple, (include all but 2 TBS of the juice... Reserve the 2 TBS for the frosting)
- 1/2 Cup shredded sweetened Coconut
- 1 tsp Cointreau, Orange Liquor... can substitute Vanilla)
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees
- Whisk together the dry ingredients
- Add one egg and the oil... Whisk, add the second egg, whisk
- Add the walnuts, carrots, banana, Coconut and pineapple Mix
- Add the Cointreau and cinnamon.. Mix
- oil and flour the bottom of two cake pans
- fill each pan 1 inch of the batter
- bake for @40 minutes (use the toothpick method to check that the center of the cake is done, you all know that trick)
- Cool Completely (Chill in the refrigerator for a couple of hours) before icing
- 2 (8 Oz) Packages Cream Cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 Cup Butter softened to room temperature
- 2 TBS pineapple juice from the can of crushed pineapple used in the cake
- 1/4 Cup Crushed Pineapple, drained
- 1 TBS Cointreau (WHY NOT AGAIN??? You can sub Vanilla Extract)
- 2 Cups Confectioner's Sugar
- Orange Zest for accent
- Cream together the butter and cream cheese
- Add the pineapple and the juice and Cointreau and cream again
- Slowly add the sugar and continue to cream
- Add additional Sugar if the frosting is too thin
- Let the cake cool completely before you frost
- Garnish with Orange Zest
- Refrigerate for several hours before serving... Serve CHILLED and ENJOY!
Good enough for a brave husband to serve to his wife's friends and neighbors (see the last couple of posts for the story of my grilling dinner for the neighborhood book club)!
And for the complete 5 course dinner menu and recipes, look over the last 5 posts!!! Appetizer,Dinner, Dessert and lots and lots of booze and a good time was had by all!
These are the desserts you make for your family. No fancy amazing wedding cakes, just the rustic beauty of the classics. From pumpkin pie to cheesecakes to layer cakes, these are what your family craves for dessert. You may even see a few unusual crusts and frosting ideas to try.
You get the idea. These recipes are simple, delicious and will have your family wanting dessert first...
Pinterest... Any of my "52 Ways to cook" Boards are worth following. If you like this post, please take a second and "Pin" this to your own boards... Better yet, if you are part of a foodie group board please take a second and add this post to your group pins... best way to show your Love!
And BTW, if you are not yet part of a group board, drop me an email at Contact@eRecipeCards.com and request to be added to my group board... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! (be sure to include your pinterest ID when you write) Once you are added, any pins you add will be seen by 10s of THOUSANDS of followers of the board (and growing daily).
Rules, only 2...
- In order to join you need to start following the group board as well as at least one of my boards.
- And you must ONLY pin original sources, posts from food related bloggers only. If you are a blogger, this is a great way to have thousands of potential readers see your work, If you are a fan of bloggers, a great way to share your favorites...
Come and be a part of ... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! on Pinterest