Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Egg Salad - Goin' Old School - 52 Church PotLuck Dishes

Pin It Now!

What's more old school than Egg Salad?  This here is a basic recipe your Grandma would be proud of, with just a few interesting extras and a couple of tips.

From "How to Boil Eggs" to an unusual ingredient (Sour Cream), this is the BEST Egg Salad I have ever had.

I made up a big bowl of this for a breakfast snack and lunch sandwiches on Ash Wednesday.  This is part of my on going efforts to keep my wife out of Purgatory.  She observes Lent Old School style (Catholic Grade School old school style).  Which means no meat on Friday (and Ash Wednesday) during Lent.

I do not observe the season myself (well, I guess I do just cause I eat what my wife eats, but she gets more out of it than I do). However, I did a little checking. In the 50's, the church would make eating meat a mortal sin and you were doomed to hell (or at the least purgatory) if you had those ribs you wanted. But, thanks to the Vatican II conference of the early 60's, meat eating was no longer a mortal sin.

It does beg the question of what happened to those souls that ate meat during the time it was a mortal sin? But, in the end, it is probably a moot point, as the type of people who eat meat on Friday are likely to be the type of people who commit other sins and they end up in Hell anyway...

But I digress...

This bowl would fit into any big PotLuck gathering.  Everybody loves egg salad!  It's basic, but it is nostalgically good... Enjoy


OK... Here's what I did...


Egg Salad -
Goin' Old School



Ingredients
  • 6 Large Hard Cooked Eggs, peeled
  • 1/2 Cup Celery, Small Dice
  • 1/2 Cup Green Onions, Small Chop, White and Green Parts
  • 2 TBS Mayonnaise
  • 2 TBS Sour Cream
  • 2 TBS Pickle Relish
  • 2 TBS Yellow Mustard
  • Sweet Paprika to Garnish
Cooking Directions
  1. Best way to hard cook an egg... Single layer in a large pot, do not crowd, make sure there is room between eggs. Cover with cold water (one inch above the eggs). Over high heat, bring water to a full boil. Immediately remove from heat and cover.pot (still with eggs and HOT water) tightly with a lid. Allow to sit for 15 minutes. Then run COLD water over the eggs to cool quickly. This cooks the yolks perfectly as well as keeping the whites soft (boiling eggs will toughen the white parts). Peel eggs.
  2. Save two whole yolks, set the other eggs, white and yolks aside.
  3. In a mixing bowl, break up the 2 egg yolks, add Mayo, Sour Cream, Mustard and Pickle Relish and mix until combined
  4. Add the wet ingredients to the chopped egg. NOTE Only add about 1/2 the wet at a time. The amount of wet ingredients use is a matter of your choice. Some people like more than others.
  5. Garnish with sprinkles of Sweet Paprika.
  6. Keep chilled in the fridge, serve on toast and ENJOY!

******************************************************

This recipe has been added to my growing list of "52 Church PotLuck Dishes"!

A list of something NEW worthy of being shown off at a neighborhood BYODish (Bring Your Own Dish) Party, a Family special occasion dinner, Any Big Holiday Gathering or of course that glorious day when you bring a dish to share with your Church family...

Ages ago, literally almost a half century ago I was listening to our pastor talking about a PotLuck Dinner. It happened to be scheduled around a church work day when we were expected to weed, polish and do general cleaning and maintenance around the church (you know, back in the day when there were no no-wax floors and church pews smelled of Old English furniture polish). I am of course paraphrasing, but as I recall the pastor said,

"A potluck, like a church requires work. At a potluck everyone is expected to contribute.. At a church no one should come empty handed and no one should leave unfed".
I will confess that in my youth I brought more store bought plastic spoons and forks than I ever brought covered dishes and crock pots of fresh made love and caring delights. But now that I have become a hobbyist cook, I occasionally am reminded of those days and people from my youth. I reminded and I do wish that I could drop a dish of some new creation on those old tables at my fondly remembered Liberty Baptist Church.  Tables covered with newspapers and loaded with God's bounty prepared with love and caring... Enjoy

*************************************************************************

So,  I am pleased to list this as one of my Growing list of  "52 Specialty Salad Recipes"!!!

Sometimes they are the main course, sometimes a lunch and sometimes they are the side dish... And if you count Jell-o salad you can even make a dessert of a salad.  Here are a few of my favorite salads that get far more Ooohs and Aaahs than that simple chopped head of lettuce.

Links include Potato Salads, Cole Slaws, and Plenty of greens and fixins' Salads... And more than a few matching FRESH MADE Jam Jar make it yourself Salad Dressings!

****************************PINTEREST**************************

Come and find me on Pinterest... Any of my "52 Ways to cook" Boards are worth following.  If you like this post, please take a second and "Pin" this to your own boards... Better yet, if you are part of a foodie group board please take a second and add this post to your group pins... best way to show your Love!

And BTW, if you are not yet part of a group board, drop me an email at Contact@eRecipeCards.com and request to be added to my group board... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! (be sure to include your pinterest ID when you write)  Once you are added, any pins you add will be seen by 10s of THOUSANDS of followers of the board (and growing daily).

Rules, only 2... 
  1. In order to join you need to start following the group board as well as at least one of my boards.
  2. And you must ONLY pin original sources, posts from food related bloggers only.  If you are a blogger, this is a great way to have thousands of potential readers see your work,  If you are a fan of bloggers, a great way to share your favorites...
    Come and be a part of ... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! on Pinterest

1 comment:

  1. I love me some egg salad, one of our favorites! I like ours plain, old fashioned. This is close to what we do except I've never tried the sour cream, that's a good excuse to boil some eggs and have this for lunch.

    But it is one of those dishes that I wouldn't TOUCH at a pot luck unless I knew exactly who made it and how long it was out. If I wasn't sure, I'd probably pass, wouldn't you?

    ReplyDelete

FMP