I just saw about my tenth version of this shake, all advertising themselves as "authentic" copycat recipe for the seasonal McDonald's classic.
Come on... Shouldn't we aspire to better than that?
Ice cream is measured by fat content. Higher the fat, better the taste. It's called Ice CREAM, not Ice 2% Milk. Sure, lower calorie would be nice, but the taste of an authentic hand dipped thick creamy shake.
Besides in all of those authentic recipes they do not mention the added salt (yes, McD's adds salt to up the taste), nor do they mention the chemicals used to keep the drink from melting. So, my version may have more fat (more taste), but it is all natural, low sodium and chemical free. Besides, what's wrong with melting ice cream (McD's shakes do not melt... natural???)? This version of the drink is a living thing, taste and texture fresh from the blender is different 5 minutes later and even more so 20 minutes later. That's a good thing.
Oh and BTW, the recipe can easily be adapted for more adult (booze) tastes, the recipe has a booze option that McD's can only dream about.
Here's what I did...
BETTER THAN Shamrock Shake
- 2 Cups Premium high fat content Vanilla Ice Cream
- 1 Cup Half and Half (additional 1/4 cup optional depending on how thick you want your shake)
- 1/2 tsp Mint Extract (for an adult version, substitute 1 shot Creme de Menthe,then you do not need the food coloring)
- 6 drops Green Food Coloring
- REAL Whipped Cream and Colored Sugar Crystals For Garnish
- Combine 1/2 cup Ice Cream with 1 full cup of 1/2 and 1/2 in a blender. Blend on high for 1 minute
- Add the remaining cup and a half of ice cream and blend for an additional minute. If after that minute the mixture is not smooth, silky and perfect consistency, add additional milk and blend until you are satisfied.
- Pour into a heavy glass that has been stored in the freezer for 1 hour.
- Go ahead, whip up some real whipped cream for topping (real whipped cream does not come out of a spray can). And add a few sparkly sugar crystals and ...
- serve COLD and REALLY ENJOY!!!