Well, sigh... Life gave me lemons...
Actually a planned cake did not turn out as planned. So this is a post about making lemonade out of a pile of lemons. Or actually, this is a post about making something very very tasty into an acceptable dish for a party.
Originally this was meant to be a rolled cake. One of those Jelly Roll type cakes that have a spiral swirl on the end. I have made dozens of them in the past, including this one shown, a Mocha Yule Log.
BUT... Sigh, I really have no idea what happened. Possibly too much Lemon Juice added, Too much Whipped Topping, or maybe the moon was in the wrong phase and my horoscope warned of something awful. But the center spiral, the cream cheese mix, the icing just did not set up at all. I ended up with a very soft cake that would not hold the shape at all.
And worst, I was making this for a small party. My church was having a meeting after services for about 40 people and I was asked to bring snacks... something sweet of course. I discovered the problem after chilling the cake overnight, just an hour before time to leave. No time to make something different.
And simply pre-cut the cake into bite size pieces.
Instead of a presentation cake, I served a bowl of sweet Angel Food cake, flavored with Lemons and Strawberry and complete with the sweet whipped topping/Cream Cheese mix. No apologies were offered, no explanation, just a serving spoon and a bowl of sett desserts...
The cake was soft, moist and spongy. The Strawberry flavoring shined. The Cream Cheese mix was evenly distributed and everyone loved it!
Bowl licked clean. Lemonade indeed!
When Life Gives you Lemons - GLOP CAKE
Angel Food Big Mess of a Cake
Angel Food Big Mess of a Cake
- 1 Box Angel Food Cake Mix
- Ingredients as Listed on the Box
(Eggs Oil Water Possibly)
- Zest of 1 Lemon (Reserve the Juice)
- 1 Cup Powdered Sugar, divided
- 1 Cup Strawberry Preserves
- 1 Brick of Cream Cheese, warmed to room temperature
- 1 Cup Whipped Cream (Whipped, can use Frozen Whipped Topping)
- Prepare the batter of the Angel Food Cake as directed on the box. Add the Lemon Zest to the batter... DO NOT BAKE IT YET.
- Prepare a large rimmed cookie sheet. Line with Parchment paper and also spray the parchment with non-stick spray. Pour Batter onto the parchment. Spread the batter even and flat. DO not add too much, should be to the rim but can not be over the top (or your oven will be a mess)
- NOW Cook according to the directions on the box.
- While the cake is baking, Fold the whipped topping, Lemon Juice, 1/2 Cup Powdered Sugar and Cream Cheese together.
- When cooked, allow to cool for 5 minutes. Then transfer to a large cutting board, reversed, bottom (parchment paper side) is now on top. Remove parchment paper.
- Evenly sprinkle a layer of 1/2 Cup powdered sugar on top of the large flat cake.
- Evenly spread a layer of Strawberry Preserves on top of the large flat cake
- Evenly spread a thick layer of the Cream Cheese mix
- Cover with platic wrap, Allow to cool in the fridge flat for 3 hours to over night
- Cut into 1 inch squares, bite size bots and transfer to a serving bowl.
Serve Chilled and of course -
I served this along with Savory Zucchini Muffins, A Spectacular display of Tex Mex Deviled Eggs for after church snack... Something Sweet, Something Savory and something with a great display. And everyone did indeed ENJOY!