Friday, July 1, 2016

Book review... The Basque Book A Love Letter in Recipes from the Kitchen of TXIKITO

Pin It Now!
Wow... What a beautiful book!

The tag line is that this is a love letter in recipes and sure enough, the almost lyrical writing combined with the stunning rustic photos of the region in Spain that inspired combine for a beautiful work of art.

The Basque area of Europe is located mostly in Spain near the border with France.  Rustic Mediterranean style cooking, local ingredients served up with a rustic style.

Txikito is an upscale New York city restaurant specializing in the cuisine of the area.  Primarily small plates that combine for a large meal.

But honestly, while many of the menu items are inspired by these recipes, the book is the rustic love of food inspired by the area instead of the restaurant cuisine.  The photos transport you to the area in Spain far more than the streets of NYC.

I simply adored the book.  It reads like a novel with each page bringing you closer to an understanding of the area.

Unfortunately...

The book is filled with wonderful recipes with difficult to find ingredients.  I am a home cook living on the prairie with little access to the ingredients.  While I do feel inspired by the recipes, I am afraid I am simply not able to recreate any exactly as written.

But I will continue to love the book, read over and dream...

Here's the legal stuff... "I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review." But the review and opinions are 100% accurate and mine!".  Love this book and highly recommend it!

I am so thrilled to add this book to my library.  A terrific inspiration.

As a gift or a new reference book for yourself, this is a keeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FMP