Saturday, August 3, 2013

Jalapeno Pineapple Jam - Small Batch Canning

Pin It Now!

Oh boy do I LOVE this stuff.  So much so that the 1/2 jar of jam you see  in the photo is all that I have left of the 4 jars that this recipe makes.  I used all of that in only a week and really was lucky I had any left for these photos.

My very favorite way to use this is as an appetizer (you will have to finish reading or scroll down to see what I am talking about).  But I also made some absolutely amazing BBQ Sauce.  The jam acts not only as a sweetener for the sauce but also adds a spicy peppery ZING to my new favorite sauce!

But that's a recipe for another day.

This is a perfect example of why I like small batch canning so much.  This makes 4 jars that keep in the refrigerator for about 3 months without having to do a more complicated water bath canning process.  Although you certainly could if you plan a larger batch with longer storage needs.

Also, the appetizer shown at the bottom of this post not only is fantastic tasting, but also gives you plenty of impressive Oohs and Aahs once your surprise guests learn that you made this yourself.

It is also a great way to add a little zip to many dishes.  Just a spoonful or two in rice gives this a spicy island tropical taste.  Grits always need a little pick me up.  Instead of a mustard vinaigrette, replace the mustard with a tsp of this and you have a spicy sweet exotic salad dressing!  The uses are nearly endless...

And it is VERY EASY TO MAKE!


One note:  In this batch I used red Jalapenos instead of green, but certainly works just fine with  the more common green.

OK... Here's What I did...


Jalapeno Pineapple Jam


Ingredients
  • 1/2 Fresh Pineapple, Peeled, Cored and fruit diced to Dime Size
  • 1/2 Cup Pineapple Juice
  • 2 Cups Sugar
  • Juice and Zest of 1 Fresh Lime
  • 2 Medium Jalapeno Peppers, Stem, Seeds and Inner White Membrane removed, then VERY FINELY Minced
Cooking Directions
  1. In a medium Sauce Pan, Put the pineapple and Juice in a small saucepan and cook over medium-low heat until the pineapple is soft, about 35 minutes.
  2. Add the Mince Jalapeno, sugar and lime juice ad zest and stir to combine. Cook until the mixture has thickened, about 45 to 60 minutes.
  3. Move to a food processor and pulse to desired consistency, small chunks with jelly
  4. Spoon the jam into several small canning jars. Wipe rims and set lids. Screw on the bands and allow to cool to room temperature. Make sure the lids "Pop" as they seal.
  5. Store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 months.
  6. Serve in a variety of ways or use as a sweetener/spicer for other dishes and ENJOY!
Me, I like to have a jar of this around to pour over a brick of cream cheese and serve with crackers for a FAST and EASY Party Appetizer.  See how convenient planning ahead is!!!  Literally a 2 minute appetizer.


*************************************************************************

So,  I am pleased to list this as one of my very favorite Growing list of  "52 Small Batch Canning Ideas"!!!

I love Canning! Love the idea of it, Love having my own Jellies, Pickled produce, Sauces, Chutneys... All those pint, half pint, 4 Ounce jars,,, Even big quart jars of Spaghetti Sauce Lined up in my basement storage shelves.  Small batch means I can usually finish a project in no more than an hour of hands on work and usually less.  Easy DIY Projects that last a month or more... Great ideas for first time canners!

****************************PINTEREST**************************

Come and find me on Pinterest... Any of my "52 Ways to cook" Boards are worth following.  If you like this post, please take a second and "Pin" this to your own boards... Better yet, if you are part of a foodie group board please take a second and add this post to your group pins... best way to show your Love!

And BTW, if you are not yet part of a group board, drop me an email at Contact@eRecipeCards.com and request to be added to my group board... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! (be sure to include your pinterest ID when you write)  Once you are added, any pins you add will be seen by 10s of THOUSANDS of followers of the board (and growing daily).

Rules, only 2... 
  1. In order to join you need to start following the group board as well as at least one of my boards.
  2. And you must ONLY pin original sources, posts from food related bloggers only.  If you are a blogger, this is a great way to have thousands of potential readers see your work,  If you are a fan of bloggers, a great way to share your favorites...
    Come and be a part of ... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment

FMP