I seem to be a collector of Tomato soups. Creamy, Cheesy, Spicy, Savory... But this unique twist sets this soup apart. It does indeed have a sweet orange taste that is wonderful!
I made this in a slow cooker, 8 hour low setting. Slow cooking tomatoes is the best way to make a tomato soup. This allows the savory earthy tastes to be accented with the natural sugars in the tomatoes and carrots to blend with the tangy sweetness of the oranges for a delicious combination of earthy savory tomato matched with the sweet orange citrus tastes!
The recipe is a classic from South Africa. I adapted a bit by adding a brick of cream cheese in place of the half and half in the original. Best of all, well, second best after the taste, I got a big full crock pot full of soup, dinner for 4, lunch for two and a couple of cups in the freezer for later for under $6. Great taste and a bargain!
I prettied it up by using a Pesto/Mozzarella grilled cheese sandwich as croutons and a sprinkling of basil ribbons.
Tomato Orange Bisque
- 2 TBS Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Onion, chopped
- 2 Medium Carrots, chopped
- 1-1/2 Cups Chicken Stock
- 1 LARGE (28 Oz) Can Crushed Tomatoes in juices
- Juice of 1 Large Orange
- 2 Sprigs Fresh Thyme, chopped
- Zest of 1 Large Orange
- 1 (8 OZ) brick Cream Cheese
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- This is a slow cooker recipe, best if simmered all day at Low for 8-10 hours, or set on high for 3-4 hours.
- Add the can of tomatoes to the crock pot and begin cooking
- Meanwhile, in a heavy bottomed saute pan, heat the oil over medium high heat until just before it starts to smoke
- Add the onions and carrots to the oil and saute for 5 minutes until the onions begin to turn translucent.
- Add the chicken stock to the saute pan and heat.
- Transfer the onions/carrots/stock mix to the crockpot.
- Add the Orange Juice and thyme to the pot, close lid and leave alone for 8 hours.
- One hour before serving, take a hand blender and blend everything until ithick but smooth. If you do not have a hand blender, use regular blender or food processor and blend in batches.
- Add the cream cheese and orange zest and set the crock pot on high. Cook uncovered for one hour.
- Blend one more time to make sure the cream cheese has melted and blended
- Taste the soup and add Salt or Pepper as needed
- Serve HOT and ENJOY!
salad of Orange and Fennel. I like all kinds of music, country AND Western, as well as Soup and sandwich and soup and salad!
And of course this is also a terrific addition to me list of "52 Recipes for Soup, Chowder and Chili". (work in progress, but I have a bunch posted already)
And as always, if you like this recipe and think you might want to give it a try, pin this to your Pinterest Board and be sure to follow me on Pinterest if you want to see the rest of my 52 Ideas!