Want a fast, easy, delicious meatless meal someday (like say, meatless Monday)? This is an old classic from the old country (Italy).
Honestly, this could not be much easier to do. Essentially, you are poaching the eggs in a tomato sauce. Made even easier if you make a crock pot (slow cooker) pot of Herb Tomato Sauce every week or so. The sauce is meatless, although on occasion I have added dribs and drabs of cooked sausage, ground beef or even rotisserie chicken in the sauce just to "meat it up".
But today, it's just the classic.
2 Cups Herb Tomato Sauce (and yes, jarred store bought sauce is fine... more expensive and not as full of flavor, but fine)
4 Large Eggs
A generous amount of grated Parmesan Cheese
And Fresh Herbs or a sliced Scallion for contrasting color and additional flavor
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Use a shallow casserole dish, add the Herb Tomato Sauce.
- Heat the dish and sauce for 20 minutes until the sauce is gently simmering
- Make a little dent in the sauce and quickly crack an egg in the dent, repeat with the remaining egg
- The eggs will start cooking immediately. Pop the dish back into the oven for about 10 minutes. Check to be sure that all of the white has turned from translucent to pure white.
- Garnish with cheese and herbs(or scallion slices)
- SERVE HOT (on toast) and ENJOY!
And if you add some hot sauce or red chili flakes to the sauce you can call them Eggs in Hell (Uova all'inferno)
It is a simple recipe, but it is a wonderful addition to your recipe file. Very little work (especially if you already have the sauce made up). This is one of those quickie meals I make when it's just my wife and I wanting something easy.
Easy, but we deserve delicious.
So, Cin Cin indeed as I add Eggs in Purgatory (Uova al purgatorio) to my "52 Authentic Italian Recipes".
And as always, if you like this recipe and think you might want to give it a try, pin this to your Pinterest Board and be sure to follow me on Pinterest if you want to see the rest of my 52 Ideas!