Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Root Vegetable Bisque... I Don't Need no Stinkin' Root Vegetable Bisque recipe

Pin It Now!

Hello Soup Fans!!!

Have you been paying attention???

See the photo to the right???  That's my version of  "Chicken Soup... I don't Need no Stinkin' Chicken Soup Recipe"  If you follow the links (click photo or blue letters), you will see that pretty much I just toss things into a pot with abandon and it become soup.  In actuality, making chicken soup is not difficult at all once you have the basics.  Amounts will vary (for me it varies based on what's in my fridge... Soups are a great place to use up what's in your produce drawer.

Well, this bisque is basically the same idea.  I am just using root vegetables (Sweet Potatoes, Squash, Carrots, Onions and Celery... Um and an Apple, just to screw up the title (and to sweeten the mix).

Just toss in a pot, add Some stock, Simmer for a while till everything is soft, Puree with a hand wand mixer, add some spices and cream, mix and simmer again and you have soup.

Keep scrolling down for this easy to follow recipe...


Who needs a recipe???

but here's one just in case you do... Here's What I did...


Root Vegetable Bisque...
I Don't Need no Stinkin' Root Vegetable Bisque recipe


Ingredients
  • 4 TBS Butter
  • 1 Medium Onion, Large Dice
  • 4 Tbs Flour
  • 3 Cups Chicken Stock (It's what I had, you can use Vegetable Stock to keep this vegetarian if you like)
  • 1 Medium Butternut Squash, peeled and diced
  • 2 Medium Carrots, peeled and sliced
  • 2 Stalks Celery, Sliced
  • 1 Large Sweet Potato, peeled and diced
  • 2 Small Apples, peeled, cored, sliced
  • 1 Cup Heavy Cream
  • 3 TBS Mixed Mediterranean Herbs, I used a Mix I call "Not Your grandmother's Herbes de Provence"
  • 1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes (or a few drops of Tabasco Sauce)
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
Cooking Directions
  1. First, Make a Roux, in a heavy bottomed saute pan, heat the butter. Add the flour and stir to make a roux. Stir constantly for 4 minutes until all of the flour has incorporated.
  2. Add the onions and stir occasionally for 5 minutes, until the onions soften.
  3. Add the carrots and celery and stir for another 5 minutes.
  4. Dump everything into a crock pot. Set on high and add the Chicken (or vegetable) stock.
  5. Add the Apples, Sweet Potato and Squash, cover and allow to slow simmer for two hours (or set on medium heat and allow to slow simmer for at least 4 hours and up to 8 hours).
  6. After two hours on high (or longer on medium), check to make sure everything has softened. Now take your immersion blender and change the vegetable stew to a bisque, whir the blender until everything is ... well, soup.
  7. Add the cream and spices and stir to mix.
  8. Return the setting t o high and allow to cook for one hour.
  9. taste and Salt and Pepper to taste
  10. Garnish with a big drop of Heavy Cream. Take a toothpick (actually I use a spoon handle for the bigger drops, toothpicks for smaller drops). Draw the thin blade of the spoon (or toothpick) completely through the drop to form a heart.
  11. But photograph quick (or serve) as the edges start to spider.
  12. Serve HOT and ENJOY!
But WAIT...

There's more...Since this really isn't a recipe... Let me add a little change...


Do you see it...

A Bisque is a thick soup made of pureed vegetables (and/or seafood, but let's not confuse the matter here).  I served the bisque with a snack/sandwich of Chicken Cordon Bleu Crescent Roll-Ups. Soup and sandwich... Such a classic it rolls off the tongue (Bisque and sandwich not as much, but all bisques are soups, so let's let it roll... But I digress...

I served the soup and sandwich for dinner and it was perfect combination of creamy soup and a more substantial sammy.  BUT, I had enough left over for my lunch.  Now, in anticipation of my Heart (and my Ass) growing two sizes over the Christmas Season I am trying to cut back on my caloric intake, little things like no bread with lunch are starting to creep into my habits.

So, I took my left over Bisque (about 4 cups were left), returned it to my slow cooker crock pot and added 2 Russet Potatoes (peeled and diced).  I set the control to low and went to sleep.

Next morning, 12 hours later, I had Root Vegetable Potato Stew for lunch... well, honestly it was breakfast and lunch... and I wish i had more for dinner (this was better than the bisque, just not as pretty).

Although with the chives it did pretty up enough for a photo.



*************************************************************************

So,  I am pleased to list this as one of my Growing list of  "52 Recipes for Soup, Chili or Chowder" (Now more than 52 and still growing)

Soup from Scratch is one of the great kitchen joys.  The house smells amazing and the soup warms to the bone.  From broth to chowder, vegetarian to loaded up chili... Even a great idea for a party (love the Potato Soup Bar idea).  Come take a look, sure to have something you might like to try.  All recipes have been tested and WORK!

****************************PINTEREST**************************

Come and find me on Pinterest... Any of my "52 Ways to cook" Boards are worth following.  If you like this post, please take a second and "Pin" this to your own boards... Better yet, if you are part of a foodie group board please take a second and add this post to your group pins... best way to show your Love!

And BTW, if you are not yet part of a group board, drop me an email at Contact@eRecipeCards.com and request to be added to my group board... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! (be sure to include your pinterest ID when you write)  Once you are added, any pins you add will be seen by 10s of THOUSANDS of followers of the board (and growing daily).

Rules, only 2... 
  1. In order to join you need to start following the group board as well as at least one of my boards.
  2. And you must ONLY pin original sources, posts from food related bloggers only.  If you are a blogger, this is a great way to have thousands of potential readers see your work,  If you are a fan of bloggers, a great way to share your favorites...
    Come and be a part of ... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment

FMP