Friday, November 30, 2012

Jerk Chicken Stew in a Crock Pot

Pin It Now!

Jerk... Anything you can make with Jerk spices is just FUN to say.  And of course, Jerk Chicken is a classic from the islands "mon".

So, slip on a little Bob Marley tune and let's combine the Jamaican classic with the workin' (wo)man's friend...the crock pot.

But first a word about Jerk Spices/Rub.  I am using a store bought dry spice mix.  I went for convenience in place of traditional.  This recipe was inspired from a more traditional and complete post from fellow blogger, "Taste For Adventure".  If you follow the blue lettered link to that post, you will see a very detailed how to post on making your own traditional Jerk wet rub.

 I also suspect that the traditional recipe of Taste for Adventure would be more spiced than what I was willing to serve to my hard working wife with the inconvenient day job.  This soup is spiced, but not so spiced that my more delicate wife's pallet was scorched.  By using a dry mix I was more able to control the heat.  He was also using raw chicken and making the soup in about an hour.

And I also got to use a bottle of my Home Town Brew's Christmas offering, Kansas City's own Boulevard Nut Cracker Ale in the recipe.  Jerk, Beer and Bob Marley!



I was having one of those days and decided I needed to make dinner in the morning or we were eating out of the freezer. So, break out the crock pot...

Here's what I did...


Jerk Chicken Stew
in a Crock Pot


Ingredients
  • 4 Cups Chicken Stock
  • 1 Bottle Beer, I used Boulevard Nut Cracker, the heavier the better.
  • 1/4 Cup Vinegar
  • 4 TBS Butter
  • 1 Medium Onion, Chopped, but Large pieces
  • 4 Cloves Garlic, minced
  • 4 TBS Flour
  • 4 Ribs Celery, Sliced
  • 4 Medium Carrots, Sliced
  • 3 Medium Sweet Potatoes, Chopped, but large chunks
  • 2 Leg/Thigh Quarters From a Rotisserie Chicken, meat removed and chopped into large chunks
  • 4 TBS Jerk Spice mix
Cooking Directions
  1. Fire up the Crock Pot. I was doing an 8 hour cook session, so I set the machine on Low. If I was doing a 4 hour cook, I would set on High.
  2. Add the Chicken Stock, Beer and Vinegar.
  3. Meanwhile, Over medium high heat, in a heavy skillet, melt the butter.
  4. Add the Onion chunks and saute for 5 minutes, until the onion has softened and become translucent.
  5. After 5 minutes, add the garlic and saute another minute.
  6. Add the Flour to the butter/onion mixture to make a thickening roux. Stir continuously for 3 minutes.
  7. Transfer the onion/roux to the crock pot liquid, stir.
  8. Add the Carrots and Celery and stir.
  9. Add the sweet potatoes and stir.
  10. Cover and leave for 8 hours.
  11. 1 Hour before serving, remove the chicken meat from the bones, dice into chunks and roll the chicken through the jerk spices to coat.
  12. Add this to the crock pot, stir. Cover and allow to simmer for another hour.
  13. Serve HOT and Enjoy!
I used the white meat to make my favorite Chicken Salad to serve as a wrap sandwich to go with the stew...

My favorite Chicken Salad

Recipe by Dave Scott

Prep time: 10 Minutes
Ingredients
  • 4 Cups Diced Rotisserie Chicken
  • 1/2 Cup Diced Sweet Onion
  • 1/2 Cup Diced Grapes (same size as onion)
  • 1/2 Cup Diced Granny Smith Apple (same size as onion)
  • 1/2 Cup Diced Sweet Gherkin Pickles (same size as onion)
  • 1/4 cup Mayonnaise
  • 2 TSP Minced Cilantro
Cooking Directions
  1. Mix well and serve!
Makes a GREAT sandwich or wrap!

What could be easier and tastier?

*************************************************************************

So,  I am pleased to list this as one of my Growing list of  "52 Recipes for Soup, Chili or Chowder" (Now more than 52 and still growing)

Soup from Scratch is one of the great kitchen joys.  The house smells amazing and the soup warms to the bone.  From broth to chowder, vegetarian to loaded up chili... Even a great idea for a party (love the Potato Soup Bar idea).  Come take a look, sure to have something you might like to try.  All recipes have been tested and WORK!
*************************************************************************

So, I am pleased to add this as one of my growing list of "52 Uses For a Rotisserie Chicken"  (Now close to 100!)

MUCH more than a chicken sandwich.  From Scratch Pizza to Chinese Take Out recipes, Lots of Soups and Chili... Appetizers to Main Courses (Still can't find a dessert, but I am looking).  More than enough ideas for that store bought bird to shine with just a little extra work.  All recipes have been tested and WORK!


*************************************************************************

So,  I am pleased to list this as one of my Growing list of "52 Ways to Cook SLOW COOKER-CROCK POT Easy Recipes"!!!

From meat dishes (Like an AMAZING Root Beer Pulled Pork that will feed a small army), to kitchen staples (FREE Gallon of Chicken Stock anyone?) to a slew of Soup and Stew recipes, these are the dishes that will change the way you cook.  Start in the morning, set and forget and dinner is on the table... Easy Peasy indeed!!!

****************************PINTEREST**************************

Come and find me on Pinterest... Any of my "52 Ways to cook" Boards are worth following.  If you like this post, please take a second and "Pin" this to your own boards... Better yet, if you are part of a foodie group board please take a second and add this post to your group pins... best way to show your Love!

And BTW, if you are not yet part of a group board, drop me an email at Contact@eRecipeCards.com and request to be added to my group board... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! (be sure to include your pinterest ID when you write)  Once you are added, any pins you add will be seen by 10s of THOUSANDS of followers of the board (and growing daily).

Rules, only 2... 
  1. In order to join you need to start following the group board as well as at least one of my boards.
  2. And you must ONLY pin original sources, posts from food related bloggers only.  If you are a blogger, this is a great way to have thousands of potential readers see your work,  If you are a fan of bloggers, a great way to share your favorites...
    Come and be a part of ... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! on Pinterest

2 comments:

  1. It sounds absolutely delicious. I haven't had jerk for ages. I'm going to have to make it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jerk chicken is a personal favorite and the idea of the flavors in the soup is fantastic. The one thing this needs to really make it Jamaican is pigeon peas but I can never find those around here. Ever seen them up there?

    ReplyDelete

FMP