Sunday, October 2, 2011

Peach Cream Cheese Coffee Cake ala One Perfect Bite

Pin It Now!

OK, first thing I need to do is describe the coffee cake...

It's been a favorite recipe of mine for awhile.  The cake part is moistened with sour cream, so the base stays soft and moist.  Just wonderful texture.  The middle layer is a cream cheese sweet sugary mix that melts into the cake as it cooks for a delicious custard like consistency.  The cake has a big advantage in addition to taste... JAM!

Yeap, you name the jam and this cake becomes the logical end product.  I have made this with Strawberry, Raspberry, Apple Cinnamon, Blackberry and I even remember making this with a jar of Apple Butter.  It's a great recipe that is perfect for jam lovers.

BUT...
I have a new favorite "
secret" ingredient

Yes, you read that correctly, Peach and Habanero PEPPERS become a tasty, spicy spread.  perfect for adding a kick as finishing sauce while grilling, a punch to your morning bagel or glaze to your vegetables.

Here's the story...

This weekend is a pretty big deal here in Kansas City.  It is the American Royal BBQ.  over 500 of the most ambitious Quers from around the world gather in my backyard (metaphorical backyard at least) for the World Series of Smoke!  I did not bring my camera this year, but you get the metaphor... smoke photo, world series of smoke... you get it right?

This year I had two good friends with parties and a few acquaintances to visit.  Unlimited Que, grilled side dishes and an adult beverage or two.  Oh what a night indeed.

But also there is a mini expo at the Royal.  A place for a few small entrepreneurial specialty food vendors.

Click the logo photo to see the Dawg's Website
One of those high minded chaser of dreams is the very fun folks from CHILI DAWG'S Foods and Fire.  Based in Nebraska, I met the husband and wife who are heart and soul as well as more of the staff (maybe co-owners, we didn't get into who does what).  And despite my best efforts, I paid cash money for the jars I brought home (Fair practices stuff says that bloggers have to say if they are getting anything free... I didn't).

Several suggestions were made to use the spreads (Their word... looks like Jam to me).  As a glaze for meat, a flavor enhancer for vegetables.  At their booth, they served crackers spread with cream cheese and topped with the spread as an appetizer.  All that sounds fine, but I had this recipe in the back of my mind.


I actually made two of these.  One with the peach and the other with my personal favorite, Mangonero.  We had neighbors with visitors for the weekend so I got up early to make one for us and one to share!  For the record, 5 adults and one teenager.  The 5 adults LOVED this.  The teenage daughter reacted like a teenage daughter.  I was hoping to actually hear, "It tasted like someone crapped in my mouth", but that was pretty much the non-verbal reaction I got from her.

So, file this as an adult cake.  Best for lovers of spice.  The habanero taste is certainly there, but in no way (despite the teenagers reaction) is it so overpowering that properly warned diners would not fined this a delightful full of flavor treat!

And for you less brave souls, or if you do not have access to this product (but they do mail order), this recipe works WONDERFUL with any jam, jelly or fruit compote.

I originally found this post from MARY at the ONE PERFECT BITE blog.  Mary is one of my favorite bloggers of all time.  In fact, Mary was the first blogger I chose to use as an inspiring blogger for the very first post I made for this site.  Here's what I had to say about her then...

"Let me say a word about Mary and her blog...  "One Perfect Bite" and Mary is an old pro in the food blogging world.  Mary has been blogging since 2008, posts every day (an amazing achievement), has over 1,000 posts and has earned enough respect to have over 2,500 followers.

Of all the blogs I see, hers is the most ready to make the jump to cookbook author or magazine published contributer.  Her posts all have a distinctive look.  She starts with either a personal story or a history of the dish.  She rarely ventures away from classic dishes (either US or international).  She explains the dish and adds her notes on why she changes an ingredient.  Often she mentions the process of making the dish a couple of times in order to get the taste or texture that she likes.  Then she clearly lays out the recipe with an ingredient list and step by step, easy to follow directions.


Mary also has quite an accomplished eye as a food stylist and photographer.  Take a look at the corn on the cob to the left.  That is her photograph.  She takes the time to add a garnish (the lime wedges), as well as a sprinkle of a red spice (my guess is paprika) to add a color contrast to the yellow corn.  Pretty plates and mixing background colors makes each dish unique and appealing.

For new bloggers as well as experienced foodies, time on her site is always a learning experience.  In my blogging life, I am guessing I have made more dishes from her recipes than any other blogger.  She always takes the time to respond to any email questions I have as well as dropping me friendly comments on my blog."


And nothing has changed my opinion of her since... Who loves ya Baby!

I made few changes.  Primarily I made two smaller cakes, changed the jam and increased the amount of Cream Cheese/sugar filling.  So, with great thanks, here's my adapted recipe...

This is the recipe for one large cake made in a springform pan.  I used two smaller oblong cake pans

PeachBanero Cream Cheese Coffee Cake...Adapted from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Allrecipes

Ingredients:

2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour 
3/4 cup sugar
 
3/4 cup cold butter
 
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
 
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
 
1/2 teaspoon salt
 
1 cup sour cream
 
1 egg, beaten 

1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract
 

FILLING:
 
1 1/2 (12-oz.) package cream cheese, softened
 
1 cup sugar
 
1 egg
 
1/2 cup PEACHBONERO Habanero Pepper Spread
 
1/2 cup slivered almonds
 
Confectioners' sugar (optional)
 

Directions:
 

  •  In a large mixing bowl, combine flour and sugar. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Remove 1 cup and set aside. To remaining crumbs, add baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add sour cream, egg and almond extract; mix well. Spread in the bottom and 2 in. up the sides of a greased 9-in. springform pan.
  • To make filling, beat cream cheese, sugar and egg in a small bowl until blended. Pour over batter; spoon raspberry jam on top. Sprinkle with almonds and reserved crumbs.
  • Bake at 350 degrees F for 55-60 minutes.
  • Let stand for 15 minutes. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; remove sides from pan. Dust top with confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: 8 servings.

OK, for details of Mary's original recipe, I am going to ask you to go to Mary's original post for her... RASPBERRY CREAM CHEESE COFFEE CAKE RECIPE (click HERE).


Click the logo to see their website!
And a huge best of luck in a very competitive world to the very nice folks at Chili Dawg's.  Please take a minute and drop by their website... drop em a comment and tell them Hi for me!


Hope you all had a good time in KC!

4 comments:

  1. I am going to have to try this recipe it sounds so good.....we have a family get together this month so I might just make it for then....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too a big fan of One Perfect Bite, lovely recipe. Thank you for linking with Any One Can Cook :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - what a great looking cake!!
    If you have a slice lest - I'd loooooooooooove for you to send it to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great and I will be trying it. One Perfect Bite is a great blog!

    ReplyDelete

FMP