Here's you a little ditty that was WILDLY popular at our church for the Children's Christmas Eve Service. Not the least of which was the delight once folks learned of the secret layer of MandMs in the middle.
If you are feeling brave, give this one a shot. Study the photos carefully, there really is not much to this.
It is a double layer cake (go ahead and use a cake mix, no one will notice if you have the mast amazing tasting scratch cake).
Cut the "muffin Top" off the first layer so you have a flat surface and you have a top that you can add above the MandMs.
Frost for a center layer of fudge frosting and the sides.
Add the second layer, cut out the middle, add the MandMs
Put the muffin top on the MandMs
Pour a chocolate glaze over and decorate with eyes, ears, nose and extras.
Serve to the Ooohs and Aaaas of adults and the delight of kids and ...
Chocolate Fudge Cake with
MandM Surprise Center
- 2 Boxed Chocolate Fudge Cake Mixes
- 2 Cans Chocolate Fudge Frosting
- 2 Large Bags MandMs
- FOR THE CHOCOLATE FUDGE GLAZE - 1 Cup (2 Sticks) Butter
- 1 Cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 Cup Milk
- 4-1/2 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 3 tsp Vanilla
- FOR THE DECORATIONS - 1 to 2 Cup White Chocolate Melting discs or 1 Can White Buttercream Frosting
- Blue Food colorinng for the eyes
- Green Food coloring for the leaves
- Pink food coloring for the inner ears and eyelashes
- Black Food Coloring For the Tail and linner
- Red Sugar for the Nose
- Additional Red MandMs for the berrie
- FOR THE ANTLERS - 1/2 Cup Dark Chocolate Melting Chips
- For the Cake... Prepare the mixes according to the directions on the box. From each box, pour equal heights worth of the mix in a small 7 inch Springform cake pan and a large 9 inch Springform pan (repeat with second box)
- Bake according to the directions on the box. Allow to cool completely.
- Study the photos carefully. Cut a rounded wedge from the LARGE cake that the smaller cake fits into. Reserve the cut pieces t add height to the "NOSE".
- Move the smaller cake into the larger cake to make a snowman looking cake. CAREFULLY Slice the "muffin top" from the cakes. You want a single muffin top from both the big and small cakes (you will use this to put a lid on the hidden MandM layer). Arrange all this NOW on your display board. Once you get to the glazing stage it is impossible to move the cake without cracking the glaze.
- Using a can and a half of the Chocolate Fudge Icing to ice the (now flat) first lyer and the sides of the first layer.
- Add the second layer of cakes. NOW, cut the center from both the small and large cakes, clear down to the layer of chocolate fudge. Study the photo, leave a 3/4 inch side all the way around the top of the first layer, leaving the center empty... fill this space with MandMs.
- Cover the MandMs with the "muffin top" cake top that you removed from the first layer.
- Using the wedge that you cut, make an oval shape that you can use for the nose. Use the remaining fudge icing to cover the sides of the second layer.
- From here it is simply a matter of decorating... a Fudge glaze over the cake, ears, eyes, nose and a tail with a few decorative touches.
- FOR THE GLAZE - Melt butter in a medium sized saucepan over low heat.
- In same saucepan, stir in cocoa, salt, powdered sugar, optional instant coffee granules, and milk. Whisk constantly over lowest heat for about a minute.
- Remove from heat and add extract; whisk well.
- Whisk until smooth and creamy, only adding additional powdered sugar if more of a frosting-like consistency is desired.
- Pour this over the cake to cover completely. Glaze will set up as it cools!
- Using parchment paper, spoon and shape the eyes, nose and ears from white chocolate, color as needed. use some to form the tail and extra shapes.
- Load a small ziplock bag with the meted dark chocolate. snip a tiny corner from the bag. lay out a sheet of parchment paper and drizzle forms of antlers to be pressed into the cake after it cools.
- Decorate and chill.
- Serve with a COLD glass of milk and ENJOY!
These are the desserts you make for your family. No fancy amazing wedding cakes, just the rustic beauty of the classics. From pumpkin pie to cheesecakes to layer cakes, these are what your family craves for dessert. You may even see a few unusual crusts and frosting ideas to try.
You get the idea. These recipes are simple, delicious and will have your family wanting dessert first...
Pinterest... Any of my "52 Ways to cook" Boards are worth following. If you like this post, please take a second and "Pin" this to your own boards... Better yet, if you are part of a foodie group board please take a second and add this post to your group pins... best way to show your Love!
And BTW, if you are not yet part of a group board, drop me an email at Contact@eRecipeCards.com and request to be added to my group board... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! (be sure to include your pinterest ID when you write) Once you are added, any pins you add will be seen by 10s of THOUSANDS of followers of the board (and growing daily).
Rules, only 2...
- In order to join you need to start following the group board as well as at least one of my boards.
- And you must ONLY pin original sources, posts from food related bloggers only. If you are a blogger, this is a great way to have thousands of potential readers see your work, If you are a fan of bloggers, a great way to share your favorites...
Come and be a part of ... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! on Pinterest