But this isn't just any Succotash, this replaces those nasty (in my opinion) Lima Beans with good old green beans. But then it goes even further. the recipe features Roasted Red peppers, Garlic, Shallots, Even a can of protein rich Cannelloni beans and all naturally sweetened with Cherry Tomatoes.
This is one LOADED up side dish filled with layers upon layers of vegetable goodness.
I made and served this dish up as part of my Thanksgiving holiday spread. The Health nuts I invited loved every bite. Good enough to please my one vegetarian family member as her main course. This is a keeper, sure to show up at family get together events again and again.
The recipe came from a WONDERFUL inventive new cookbook, Taste & Technique: Recipes to Elevate Your Home Cooking. I was asked to read and review the book...
Short version... I LOVED IT!!!
This is one of those books that are just as much fun to read as it is to cook from. James Beard Award-winning and self-made chef Naomi Pomeroy's debut cookbook, featuring nearly 140 lesson-driven recipes designed to improve the home cook's understanding of professional techniques and flavor combinations in order to produce simple, but show-stopping meals.
In the introduction, "It's my hope that this book will encourage you to get into the kitchen, take cooking seriously, and feel good about it."
And I do
The book is a progression of steps, simple sauces, simple techniques, gradually adding steps and tips to move through simple dishes to outstanding show stopping dishes worthy of being served in any restaurant,
I could not recommend this book enough as a gift for anyone interested in improving as a cook. No matter what level you start at, you will indeed "encourage you to get into the kitchen, take cooking seriously, and feel good about it."
In short, again... I LOVED THIS BOOK!
Here's the legal stuff... "I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review." But the review and opinions are 100% accurate and mine!". I did indeed cook the recipe as printed and it worked on every level I could ask. Wonderful Look, appealing texture and delicious taste. I look forward to making many more of the beautiful dishes offered! Love this book and highly recommend it!
I am so thrilled to add this book to my library. A terrific inspiration.
As a gift or a new reference book for yourself, this is a keeper.
Fresh Corn and Summer Vegetable Succotash
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 2 TBS Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 Pound Green Beans, ends trimmed
- 3 TBS Butter
- 1 Large Shallot, Minced
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Smashed and minced
- 1 (15 Ounce) Bag of Frozen Sweet Corn, Thawed under hot water, drained
- 1 (14 Ounce) Can Cannelloni Beans, Rinsed and Drained
- 1/2 Cup Cherry Tomatoes, Halved
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp chopped Parsley
- If using the broiler, Place the Red bell pepper in a baking dish. Brush with the Olive oil. Roast, turning the pepper every 2-3 minutes as the skin colors until all sides have blackened and begins to separate from the flesh; about 15 minutes.
- Transfer the pepper to a small bowl, seal with plastic wrap and let cool for at least 15 minutes or until cool enough to handle. The longer it steams, the easier it is to rub the blackened skin off the flesh. When cool, set the pepper on a cutting board. Remove the stem and scrape the insides, discarding those. Peel the skin, discarding the black. Cut the pepper into large dice and set aside.
- Trim the Green beans. Blanch and shock the beans. Cooking in boiling water for about 2 minutes. Then transfer to a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process and preserve the bright colors.
- In a saute pan, melt the butter over medium high heat until just starting to turn brown. Add the shallot and cook stirring occasionally for about 1 minute. Add the garlic and continue to cook and stir for 30 seconds. Add the corn and continue to cook and saute for another 2 minutes. Add the beans and continue to stir to mix. Add the Green beans and continue to cook and stir for a minute. Add the Cherry Tomatoes and roasted peppers. Stir to thoroughly mix.
- All the ingredients should be cooked through without turning too soft. Tghey also retain their bright colors.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm and ENJOY!