Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Asparagus Ham and Cheese Pizza Wrap


Rustic... that's the word for this.

It is a rustic version of a beautiful appetizer I saw on one of my favorite blogs to visit, Wives with Knives.  Cathy has a terrific blog, beautiful photos, inspiring recipes and she is a working foodie pro!  She has the roasted nut stand at her local Portland, Oregon Farmer's Market.  Me, I love our KC Farmer's Market and have been able to meet lots of the folks who work their stalls.  It is always fun to read those posts that give a little insight into how it all works from the other side.

A few weeks ago, Cathy made a wonderful looking appetizer, complete with a dipping sauce from thick stalks of asparagus.  She used a fancy dancy Prosciutto bacon and everything was wrapped in flaky delicate phyllo dough.  It was an elegant appetizer, fit for a dinner party!

That photo is lifted from her blog (sorry Cathy), but it has a link to her original post of Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus in crispy Phyllo Dough!

Cathy hit a ... Hmm, "that stuff is in my pantry" nerve when I saw the post.  Jackie and I were heading out on a road trip, 8 hour drive to South Dakota.  We were going to be gone for a week and I wanted to use up a few items that were in my pantry.

But I made a few changes to make mine more... rustic.

First, I am cheap.  I love Prosciutto, but I had a few slices of ham in stock.
Next, I only had thin young asparagus spears.  My favorite way to make asparagus is a simple quick sautee in oil.  Only a few minutes and they are done.  This method works best with thin stalks; which is why I had them in my fridge.
Finally, phyllo dough... HATE it.  Not the taste, not the texture, I just hate that my fat uncoordinated fingers and the delicate dough just does not get along.  I tear about half the sheets and it just makes me feel bad as a person to use it.

So I used my goto cold rise pizza dough flatbread recipe.  As you have probably read, I make pizzas at least once a week and usually more.  When I make this dough, I make 4 balls at once and it is usually always at hand in my fridge.

So, ham I needed to used before the trip... Asparagus that needed to be used... and pizza dough already made up.

Mine wasn't delicate or hors d’oeuvres quality  dish.  But it was terrific to make a dozen or so and use these as snacks while driving!


OK, I have a bunch of photos that will show you what I did.  Basically, asparagus, ham slivers, cheddar cheese and dijon mustard, wrapped in pizza dough squares, sealed with an egg wash.  I then did an egg wash on top and sprinkled some of my "Sodom and Gomorrah" Low salt substitute (equal parts course grain Sea Salt, Garlic Flakes and Black and white sesame seeds... not no salt, but it only has 1/4th of the salt I would have used).

Bake in a preheated oven on a preheated pizza stone at 425 degrees for 12 minutes.

But really, before going rustic, you ought to take a look at the elegant version of Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus in crispy Phyllo Dough!











8 comments:

  1. Yowza, Dave! I love your version of my asparagus appetizer. To be honest my kids would like your recipe much better than mine. Using pizza dough is a great idea and I can see all kinds of possibilities here. This is picnic food at its best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this at Cathy's and immediately showed it to Bev as something we need to try. It looks as though your variation worked perfectly. Our asparagus is gone, but we have some filet beans that we've been wrapping in bacon and grilling amd I believe they should work here as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dave...That looks like a great lunch!

    I'm having a Summer Time Giveaway on my blog this week if you get a chance to go over and enter. Its a $50.00 gift certificate for NOVICA.
    Thanks... Keep Cool!

    http://theprojecttable.blogspot.com/2012/06/its-summer-time-giveaway-from-project.html

    Rainey @ The Project Table

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Dave! I wanted to say CONGRATS and let you know I Nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award! For more details about the award, please visit: http://bargainbites00.blogspot.com/2012/06/versatile-blogger-award.html Congrats again, it is well deserved! I love your blog and It truly is good for so many different people!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rustic is good when it comes to food like this. What a fabulous combination. It'd be a great way to get some of my pickier eaters to eat asparagus.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Que receta mas rica!!
    Seguro que esta deliciosa, tiene muy buena pinta.
    Un besito

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dave - love your twist on this!! Hope you are doing well, hugs!!

    ReplyDelete

Media

FMP