Thursday, October 6, 2011

Pumpkin Cheesecake... um Pie ala Living the Gourmet


Still just a few warm days coming up before the winter chill. Plenty of time to combine a delicious CHEESECAKE with seasonal fruit (and yes, it took a bit of research, but indeed pumpkin is a fruit).

This recipe is a delight.  Creamy sweet, with a hint of savory.  A delicious and fragrant use of nutmeg and cinnamon, and a delightfully sneaky bit of ginger added to the frosting.  A great recipe with just a bit... extra!

Living the GourmetI Found this recipe on eRecipeCards.com of course.  I was using the search function to find a pumpkin recipe.  It also was one of those Indian Summer fall days with temps bordering in the 90's.  A Great day for cheesecake!

The author of the recipe (adapted from Betty Crocker) is Catherine from the Living the Gourmet blog, and a long time favorite of mine.

Catherine is a long time blogger, earliest post are from 2008.  She is also very consistent, averaging just over 1 post every other day.  Each post is truly a gem.  Catherine's recipe are classics, often, like this, adapted from the old school cookbooks and reference materials from the last 50 years.  But more often she will post an original recipe.  New twists on old favorites and dishes from her Italian background.  She is also among the most loyal bloggers out there, visiting and commenting on her blogger buddies posts.

Always a delight to hear from her and to see what she cooks...

Like this!

Catherine's original post actually had a different look. She made cheesecake squares.  I made a cheesecake pie.  I did take one of the slices and made a cheesecake pumpkin, simple enough with a Halloween/Thanksgiving cookie cutter.

But, pie, Squares or pumpkin shaped, this is such a terrific idea for a tray of sweets.  A wonderful alternative to a pumpkin pie or addition to a big holiday feast as an alternative.  The savory pumpkin cheesy custard filling is delightfully light and creamy.  The sweet buttery creamy icing is perfect pairing.

I just LOVE this recipe

.I made a very very tiny change in the recipe.

Catherine used orange zest as a garnish in the center of each bar.

I just mixed mine into the cream cheese frosting.  This added just a tinge of orange color to my icing.

Her's is much prettier, while mine was being greedily served to just my wife and myself, so presentation was not important.  If I were making this to be served at a family dinner, I would adapt Catherine's presentation.

Click Catherine's original photo from her post to see her recipe
for Pumpkin Cheesecake Squares
Click the photo above (lifted from her post), to see her original recipe for Pumpkin Cheesecake Squares (or click the blue letters).  As is my custom on this blog, I am not going to copy a recipe I followed exact.  I pondered a bit, but honestly, everything I love in a cheesecake is in this.  Just no need to change anything.  So please take a minute, hop over to Catherine's recipe and bookmark it as a favorite!

It certainly is one of mine!


So, if I have tweeked your interest in Rainey and her Living the Gourmet Blog , head on over and say HI for me!

And for a quick look at what she blogs, click on the logo link image to the right.  You will see all the eRecipeCards that Catherine has submitted to eRecipeCards.com.  You can add her recipes to your eRecipeBox (once you have a free account).

See how useful the site is and how easy it is to find new favorite bloggers!

These posts continue to highlight bloggers and recipes that I have found on  "eRecipeCards.com"..

5 comments:

  1. Fantatsic,taht the pumpkin foun its way to this classic;))Looks great ,bet it tasted realy good

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, never tried this version of cheesecake, sounds perfect for this season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave you won an award. Go to my latest post to find out more. :)
    http://carriesexperimentalkitchen.blogspot.com/2011/10/i-received-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this looks fantastic. Perfect for fall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Dave, thank you so much for this! I apologize for not seeing it sooner. I am so honored and thrilled that you tried this recipe. Happy Monday! Blessings, Catherine

    ReplyDelete

Media

FMP