Monday, September 5, 2011

Hungry Man's Pizza ala Baking Glory

 To quote Julia Child, “You should never apologize at the table. People will think, ‘Yes, it’s really not so good.'

So, I have no intentions of telling you that I had planned a nice thin crispy crust pizza.  Instead I will point at this wonderful thick crust, hand tossed (not too far, but I did toss) Sicilian style pizza, complete with a stuffed cheesy edged crust (see the big holes inside the edges).  An hour and a half before I made this, sure... just what I had envisioned, and when I served it up, with no apologies, no one said it wasn't that good.

Instead, there were rave reviews for the look, big thick edge, stuffed with cheese.

OOZING toppings, lots of rich homemade Marinara sauce, bacon (look close, there is even a bacon lattice as a garnish).

Thick layer of cheese under the sauce (where it belongs to keep the crust and the sauce separated so the crust comes out crisp), even more bacon crumbled inside.



And do you remember the roasted garlic and cherry tomatoes I blogged about yesterday...

Yes indeed... there they are.  Still just as sweet and juicy with the edges crisped up.

Why on Earth would I want to apologize for this masterpiece?

Well, originally I had envisioned creating something that looked like this...

Click the photo to magically be taken to
 BAKING GLORY's original post  For her Hungry-Man's Pizza
If I were to apologize, it wouldn't be to my wife who had to (got to) eat my version.  No, it would be to apologize to Remo of the BAKING GLORY blog.  Remo did an excellent post on his pizza.  He calls his the HUNGRY MAN and deservedly so.  Big, loaded, LOTS of BACON, four kinds of cheese and drool worthy!

While I copied a lot of the ingredients (with a few twists of my own, you know me by now).  I was very intrigued by his pizza dough recipe.  I have been making my own pizza dough for awhile now.  But my recipes all take at least 3 hours and usually more.  No problem if you plan ahead, but The Baking Glory genius had a pizza dough recipe ready after just thirty minutes sitting in the fridge!

Now, this is a recipe I want to try!

Just one problem, and it is my fault.  Remo says in the post that he would give details on the dough at a later time.  He does.  There is a separate post just dealing with the dough recipe.  All I needed was one line out of that post and I would have been fine.

That line... Serving - 2 pizzas

But, I didn't read that.  So, instead of Remo's wonderful thin crust crispy delicious NYC style loaded up pizza, I have a thick crust, combination crisp and chewy crust, loaded with lots of sauce, toppings and cheese (some would say Sicilian style).  So, sorry Remus, not exactly what you had served up.  But truth be told, I didn't have much to appologize to anyone who ate this.

Click this photo to see Baking Glory's
Dough Recipe
Baking Glory's post intrigued me for a very good reason...

30 minute yeast pizza dough from scratch!  If you follow these two links, you will see her recipe (including for her finished product...

Click HERE for his dough recipe.
Click HERE for his finished Hungry Man pizza recipe.

This is one of those unusual recipes that I didn't do much to.  My pizza looks different because I did not divide the dough.  I made one pizza from her two pizza recipe.

My outer edge of the crust has puffed up because once I rolled the dough out, saw that it was going to be MUCH bigger than my pizza peel.  So, I decided to do a fancy edge... put a small circle of cheese and sauce all around the edge and then simply fold it over and seal.  It's messy, but works just like the TV 30 minute pizzas.

A little messy, but most of the sauce and the layer of cheese is inside.  When it cooks, the cheese and sauce inside makes the dough expand, leaving that hole (and cheese and sauce) inside the edge, causing the puffed up look

Because I use a HOT (500) degree pizza peel, the pizza cooks from the top (convection) and from the bottom (contact).  Even though the dough is twice as thick,

OK... Look over Baking Glory's posts on making the dough.  It really was amazing to work with, and INCREDIBLY FAST.  Ready in just 30 minutes!!!  Really and truly it was.  Tasted PERFECT, and if you like a thin crispy crust, look over his post on making the pizza!

Here's what I did...

Brush a little Olive Oil on the crust, then line the bottom with cheese.  I like a Scamorza cheese (kind of a cross between Mozzarella and Provolone.  Slices easily or you can grate it.


Add the Sauce


Add the toppings... Keep it Simple.  I had bacon bits and minced roasted garlic.  Try to limit yourself to only two toppings.


But, go ahead and add more bacon, cause... well, it's bacon.  If you are adding bacon, fry it up first in advance, just a bit.  Just enough to pull most of the grease out.  It will finish crisping up as you bake the pizza.


This would look better if you had a smaller pizza... Bacon Lattice work is always a crowd pleaser!

I also added some of those roasted cherry tomatoes from yesterday's post.


Bake in a pre-heated 500 degree oven.  It is VERY IMPORTANT to pre-heat your pizza stone to that 500 degree point... at least 30 minutes before you cook your pizza...

500 degrees, 10-14 minutes.




Click this screenshot of the home page to see Baking Glory's blog

Now, as to Baking Glory, I love this site.  He is not a prolific blogger, with only a few dozen posts, but each one is a lesson in baking!.

The photo to the left is of one if his cookie recipes.

Or maybe the photo to the right makes you want to try one of his scone recipes (Strawberry and chocolate!!!)

Stunningly beautiful photographs and really impressive recipes (I have read over dozens of pizza dough recipes, never have seen one that is ready in so short a time and (with my apologies) it worked perfect!

And what baking blog would be complete without several posts on delicious home made bread.  Sweet, creamy and just amazing and with the Baking Glory's detailed step by step instructions and LOTS of how-to photos, even yeast-a phobic first timers can have a success.

Baking glory is not a personal blog.  You may never learn much about the author, but if you are looking for great recipes, inspiring photography and spot on perfect instructions with lots of details for a novice, Baking Glory is the place to be!


So, if I have tweeked your interest in REMO and the Baking Glory Blog , head on over and say HI for me!

And for a quick look at what he blogs, click on the logo link image to the right.  You will see all the eRecipeCards that REMO has submitted to eRecipeCards.com.  You can add his recipes to your eRecipeBox (once you have a free account).


See how useful the site is and how easy it is to find new favorite bloggers!

These posts continue to highlight bloggers and recipes that I have found on  "eRecipeCards.com"..

12 comments:

  1. Personally, I think that crust looks GLORIOUS (I mean, the other one looks awesome, too...but)! And I'm all for equality, so how's about the different crust makes it a hungry wo-man's pizza!? ;P Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welp... That got my attention! Holey Moley Dave! Its beautiful! Its a work of art! How much did it weigh? Genius on the crust edge!

    Rainey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still, Remus name you talk about in your post is fortunately a dude, so you might want to correct some of your lines so you don't confuse the ladies... or my wife. [lol]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still I would rather be called Remo for short ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry for the slight. Great respect for the blog and even more now that I know you are fellow ... fellow in the sea of female food bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes fellows hold to each other.Well we do not say anything that majority of profesional chefs are man:)
    I do not see any reason to apologize for food here;)) Greta pizza for man and woman:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pizza looks yummy, I love making homemade dough and bread! Now I want pizza :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sure my husband would love this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the crust looks AWESOME! And my husband would LOVE that pizza,as would I too. I have a real hankering for pizza right now and I have just had lunch!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks so yummy! I would love it if you came over to Cast Party Wednesday and shared this recipe with us.
    Thanks,
    I hope to see you there!
    http://ladybehindthecurtain.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. this hungry lady would love it as well come see me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks SOOOO good! I love the stuffed crust. I'll be right over. ;-) I am new follower from LambAround. Vicky from Mess For Less

    ReplyDelete

Media

FMP