Thursday, August 18, 2011

Orange Herb Marinated Pork Loin ala Carrie's Experimental Kitchen


And Ladies and Gentlemen, the horrible photo above is what happens when you take a road trip, forget your charger for your camera, barely enough to take a photo, but no flash.  A marinated pork loin with a few root vegetables with that orange glow of incandescent lights.

But, at least the pork loin has an orange marinade!  This is the only cooking I did the entire time I was in South Dakota.  Before my Mother-in-Laws surgery, she wanted to use up food in her refrigerator, and had her meals somewhat planned.  Then we spent 2 1/2 days in Sioux Falls, SD eating hospital cafeteria food.

So, last night was my turn.  We were turning the care and feeding of MiL over to several of Jackie's cousin (can't swing a um.... a jumprope without hitting some family member in MiL's town of 800 people).  So, before we turned over the reins of healthcare, I was asked to feed 8 people...

Pork loin and a few bucks worth of root vegetables and we have dinner!

AND it was indeed delicious!

This recipe I adapted from one I found on eRecipeCards.com!  Just typed in "Pork" in the search feature and nearly 100 choices popped up.  I was in a strange kitchen, no grill, none of my usual spices and marinades.  And yet, my rep had followed me north and something interesting was expected.

I found this wonderful marinade, I slightly adapted it, as Carrie had used hers for pork chops, while I had a big loin to cook.  So I upped the citrus level a bit as it was going to take a strong marinade to flavor the entire loin instead of the large surface are of the chops.

But, before I get into that, Let me tell you about Carrie of Carrie's Experimental Kitchen.  Carrie is a new blogger (LOVE new bloggers!).  She has only been posting for 4 months, but has already posted over 80 recipes.  She is taking the hobby seriously.  She has an employment history as a "in Corporate Food Services as an Asst. Food Service Director in facilities that fed over 2,000 people a day".  Now she "only" has to worry about her feeding her family (including her two daughters).

She is exactly the same type of cook as I am.  She cooks with whats on hand and cooks simple yet delicious.

I do hope she is pleased with what I came up with from her recipe for "Orange-Thyme Grilled Pork Chops with Roasted Potatoes."  PLEASE click on the blue letters to see her original post.  Again, she grilled (no grill), she made chops (I had a loin and wanted to serve that way so it would stretch and feed all 8 of us).  She also has a more complete root vegetable medley with zucchini and mushrooms added, while I only had some potatoes, onions and carrots.

Truly, I was inspired (and again, you should look at her original post to see the difference)...

So, here's what I did...

I made the citrus marinade first...

1 cup Orange Juice
2 TBS Sugar
2 TBS Garlic Salt
2 TBS fresh Parsley (minced)
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried rosemary
1 tsp dried thyme

Mix everything in a plastic zip lock bag, add the pork loin (it was @3 pounds)
Let it sit in the fridge for 4 hours, turning occasionally so it is well covered.

For the root veggies...

3 large Russet Potatoes, cubed
2 Large onions, large dice
1 pound of carrots, sliced

And I cooked in a citrus bath... meaning

I had access to my MiL:'s famed HUGE dutch oven!

I added 1 cup of orange juice in the bottom

layered in the onions in the juice
added the pork loin on top of the onions
rested the potatoes and carrots around the loin

Cooked covered LOW and SLOW... 300 degrees for about 2 and a half hours.  The carrots were tender, the potatoes passed that fork test and the meat registered 145 degrees internal temperature.

Cooking in the dutch oven kept all the liquid in, steaming the vegetables done and the meat came out so moist, so tender.  I did sprinkle a little paprika over the meat mostly for color (hard to tell in the hideous photo).


So thank you so much Carrie!  The OJ made a terrific marinade.  Roasting the vegetables in more juice added just enough of a wonderful interesting tang that my cousin-in-laws were impressed!

And with that, I end this month's South Dakota trip.  If all goes well, I will be back home tomorrow, my own kitchen, my own knives and my own spices!


So, if I have tweeked your interest in Carrie and Carrie's Experimental Kitchen, head on over and say HI for me!


And for a quick look at what she blogs, click on the logo link image to the right.  You will see all the eRecipeCards that Carrie has submitted to eRecipeCards.com.  You can add her recipes to your eRecipeBox (once you have a free account).

See how useful the site is and how easy it is to find new favorite bloggers!



These posts continue to highlight bloggers and recipes that I have found on  "eRecipeCards.com"..


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting about my blog and recipe! I'm glad you and your family enjoyed it and your version looks delicious too (I'll have to try it this way in the coming months!). I hope your MIL's surgery went well and wish her a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds wonderful! Love the citrus marinade!

    ReplyDelete
  3. NEVER mind Dave ~ the recipe sounds delightful!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete

FMP