Sunday, August 21, 2011

Bacon Filled Waffles ala Tigers & Strawberries!


First, look close and prepare to get jealous...

Yes, that is a lion and an elephant shaped waffles!  Being empty nesters, whenever the nieces and nephews visit, Jackie and I are not above trying to buy their love with circus waffles from the second they wake up in the morning during their visits (and the 4 year old nephew thinks it is hilarious to cut the asses of the animals and give them to Jackie while he gets to eat the heads... But I digress).

Next, reread the title of the post... yes, it says it all, BACON baked into the waffle batter!!!  Plus some other steps that make this a MUST MAKE AGAIN recipe.  I just loved this.

But, before we get to the recipe, let me tell you a little about Barbara, author of the TIGERS & STRAWBERRIES blog...

Barbara's motto... "Cook local, Eat global" is evident in her recipe categories list.  Local and sustainable has 220 posts (although "Essays, Rants and Reflections" has over 250 posts).  And even more fun, she has a category of "Recipes: Appalachian Hillbilly" with 32 posts, far out numbering her Thai, Korean, Caribbean, Japanese and Jewish categories (but not coming close to her huge number of Chinese and Indian recipe).

A quick read of some of her recent blog posts will indeed show a commitment to sustainable farming, buying local and fresh food.  Her motto is heart felt and a goal for us all to consider.

I am a huge fan of  the TIGERS & STRAWBERRIES blog.  Not only for her message, but the fun way of writing and a devotion to BACON!

gods bless her for posting this recipe.


I only made one very tiny changes in her recipe.  First, I didn't finish reading the recipe before I started.  I got to the entire thing, and then added the bacon into the batter.  Barbara suggests sprinkling the bacon on the top of the batter just before closing the lid on the maker.  No difference at all, except her photos show more details of the bacon inside the waffles.  That's her photo to the left, clearly showing the spots of bacon in the waffles.  Her waffles make a better presentation.  Also included in her "Bacon Filled Waffles with Chili Fried Apples" (click either the blue letters or her photo to magically be taken to her original post of this recipe)... Also included in the post is a recipe for her topping of choice, Chili fried apples to go along with her waffles!

OH MY, spicy apples, bacon waffles... I think I am in love!

And here's a teaser... I used these waffles for a base to a Tex Mex dish that I plan to blog about tomorrow (here's a hint, Chicken and Waffles!).  I will also announce my first tiny little contest that i hope you all get excited about.

But that's a post for tomorrow.  Back to Barbara, and the TIGERS & STRAWBERRIES blog...

Ordinarily, I have no shame about rewriting a recipe which I made 3 or 4 changes.  That's what "Inspired by eRecipeCards.com is all about after all, seeing a recipe and making the changes that make it my own for my wife's tastes (and mine).  So it is a rare thing when I make a recipe exactly as written.  So, since this blog is called "Inspired by" and not Stolen From", I am not going to print out the recipe I made.

Instead, I urge you to give this recipe a try.  It has much more to it than "just" a waffle mix.  You fold in egg whites, cinnamon and buttermilk make this a wonderful recipe even without the bacon,,, Although, let's say it again... BACON BACON BACON BACON BACON!

Please visit her post, "Bacon Filled Waffles with Chili Fried Apples" (click either the blue letters or her photo to magically be taken to her original post of this recipe).  While you are there, take a look through her recipe category index.  Betcha you find something interesting (Only blogger I have seen with a Hillbilly food category!).


So, if I have tweeked your interest in Barbara and TIGERS & STRAWBERRIES Blog, head on over and say HI for me!


And for a quick look at what she blogs, click on the logo link image to the right.  You will see all the eRecipeCards that Barbara has submitted to eRecipeCards.com.  You can add her recipes to your eRecipeBox (once you have a free account).

See how useful the site is and how easy it is to find new favorite bloggers!


These posts continue to highlight bloggers and recipes that I have found on  "eRecipeCards.com"..

10 comments:

  1. I LOVE bacon, bacon is one of my diet downfalls......LOL! This is another great post and wonderful photos again, I LOVE your waffle cutters, so cute!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute & nice new digs Dave! Thanks for stopping by to let me know about your new home. I'll add you to my reading list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The three males in my house are bacon obsessed! Thanks for the idea, my two boys will love these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh wow this is too cute I need to get a fun waffle press for my little one thanks so much for visiting my blog

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute waffle press...love the addition of bacon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too cute. You can never go wrong with bacon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUM! I usually crumble my bacon all over my pancakes or waffles and then add syrup...now I can just add it to the batter!

    Thank you so much for linking up to Fusion Fridays! Come back next Friday to see my favorites and to link up again! http://janedeereblog.blogspot.com

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. fun way to start the day, and a good start for football games... by the way, I change the button, seems it could only be used by blogger but blogger could not read the HTML...

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is just breakfast goodness all-in-one! Thanks for linking up to Fat Camp Friday. Hope you enjoyed your weekend, see you next time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Monday! I wanted to thank you for sharing this delicious recipe at Recipe Sharing Monday. The new party is now up and I'd love for you to link up again :)

    ReplyDelete

Media

FMP